Problems hosting anything (Mainly FTP)

ok, I've been trying to get an FTP server to work for hours. from where I'm sitting, I can see the FTP, connect to it, download files, whatever else I could want from it. But that's not the point. I'm trying to set this thing up so my hosts for my games can just connect and download any updates I might have waiting. Main problem, anyone NOT at the local computer cannot connect to my FTP. Kinda defeats the whole purpose if you have to be physically AT the terminal to access the FTP. I've checked my firewall, I've checked my router, everything seems to be working fine. I've tried disabling my firewall and everything. Recently I tried hosting my own game, it'll show up where it should, but again, same problem. People cannot connect.

I'm not extremely network savvy so if someone could possibly explain to me in lamen terms what I could do to allow connections to my server, I would be eternally in your debt :thumbup

Check your file system permissions. Try making sure the group Users or the Guest account have Read & Execute and List Folder Contents permissions to your FTPROOT or Virtual Directory.

Check your file system permissions.  Try making sure the group Users or the Guest account have Read & Execute and List Folder Contents permissions to your FTPROOT or Virtual Directory.

I believe he set up his FTP to allow anonymous logins. I attempted to connect via WS-FTP Pro 7 and would get the return message of "Connection failure". As he stated, we attempted to disable his firewall and everything, with no such luck.

• 1 month later...
ok, I've been trying to get an FTP server to work for hours. from where I'm sitting, I can see the FTP, connect to it, download files, whatever else I could want from it. But that's not the point. I'm trying to set this thing up so my hosts for my games can just connect and download any updates I might have waiting. Main problem, anyone NOT at the local computer cannot connect to my FTP. Kinda defeats the whole purpose if you have to be physically AT the terminal to access the FTP. I've checked my firewall, I've checked my router, everything seems to be working fine. I've tried disabling my firewall and everything. Recently I tried hosting my own game, it'll show up where it should, but again, same problem. People cannot connect.

I'm not extremely network savvy so if someone could possibly explain to me in lamen terms what I could do to allow connections to my server, I would be eternally in your debt  :thumbup

I dunno if u will like this software but it is a complete webserver with FTP server, I made it

CIS Webserver

http://webserver.cisindia.net

Its really cool and easy 2 use.

i dont get it

when you do this from remote computer

start>>run>>cmd>>> telnet ftpserverip 21

does it answer?

if it answers then its filesystem or ftp permission problem

if it doesnt answer then its networking problem

what is your exact configuration(firewall,router,nat....)?