Question about WinXP Media Center Edition?

RichTJ99

Hi,

I just got my Microsoft Action Pack subscription update (well I got it a week or two ago, but finally opened it up). I noticed I have a 2 CD version of Windows XP Media Center Edition. What exactly is the difference between this & regular XP Pro? Is it worth installing on a PC that isn’t connected to a TV or audio device (aside from regular speakers)?

Anywhere I can find out some details on the difference between XP Pro & XP MCE?

Thanks,

Rich

I assume its Media Center Edition 2005, its built on XP Pro and has all its features except...

Can I connect a new PC running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 to a work Network or Domain?

While you can access network resources on a work or a domain, you cannot join a Windows XP Media Center 2005 PC to the domain. PCs running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 are designed specifically for home use. Professional features, specifically Domain Join and Cached Credentials (Credentials Manager for logins) are not included. As a result, you will be prompted for your login username/password to access network resources after a reboot or logging back into the PC. In addition, file shares or network resources set to require a domain-joined PC for access will not be available. Remote Desktop and Encrypting File System support are still included.

[Copyright Microsoft 2004, All Rights Reserved]

This was done so businesses would still buy the Pro version, however its only setback seems to not be so. I might be wrong, but you can join a domain during the OS install, or with a script. It will just be greyed out if you try to do it in windows. Home users in most all cases wont miss this feature anyways. I am actually using MCE 2005, after I 'nLited' it of course, and if I open System Properties and click on the Computer Name tab, the option for Network ID Wizard is greyed out, but I think this can be done manually anyway with a script if needed.

Otherwise its the most up to date build (of XP Pro) you can buy, in terms of updates, WMP10, and some new icons/themes/screensavers :w00t: . It also has the Media Center program obviously so you can hook up a tv tuner and watch tv etc. Good site to learn more about MCE is http://www.thegreenbutton.com