Missing or corrupt files at start-up?

Roc111

Im running Win XP went to boot up an windows will not boot.

Get error.............Windows unable to start due to missing or corrupt files

\windows\system32\config\system\

Cant get to boot up in safe mode or anything..........please help

Cant even format.......would love to!

Please help!

Well, thats your SYSTEM hive of your windows xp registry. It is vital, and there is no easy way to fix it. You will have to be able to gain access to your hard drive. You might want to look into this: http://www.nu2.nu/ , there is a utility on that site called PE Builder, you can make a live windows xp cd, then you can gain access to your drive and fix the problem, but one thing to note is that if you have disabled system restore, you will not be able to fix this, unless you have made backups of your registry.

I dont know why you say you cant format and reinstall windows. Just pop in you windows xp disk, boot to it, and go through the setup, you will be able to partition and format the drive. Good luck.

P.S.

If you decide to go th PE disk rout, tell me when you have made your disk and I'll tell you what to do to fix your registry problem. BTW usually registry corruption leads back to a failling hard drive, you might want to just replace the hard drive to be on the safe side, before you decide to reinstall windows or fix your current installation on your hard drive.