slipstream IE6 SP1 into Win2k install?

i have a Win2k Unattended Install Disc set up, and it installs all of my needed applications using RunOnceEx. i have had quite a few problems with IE6 SP1--various conflicts with OS patches i install and registry tweaks i run (like the one to remove access to OE). some of them i have gotten around by rebooting the machine after installing all of my other software and patches, and then installing IE6. however, from time to time, on certain machines i get an error saying explorer.exe has crashed. from then on, when i log into the machine explorer.exe crashes and the only way around this is to cancel the IE6 install during the unattended installation and then do it manually later on. it crashes after IE6 installs, then reboots, then says it's installing "Browsing Services," "Internet Tools," and "System Services."

although it'd be nice to figure out why it's crashing and fix the problem, i'm honestly sick of messing with it. if anyone has any idea as to why it's crashing, feel free to let me know. otherwise, is there any way i can just slipstream IE6 SP1 into my install from the beginning so i don't have to worry about installing it during RunOnce Ex? this would save me a lot of hassle, as well as a couple of extra reboots during the install process. i'm open to any suggestions. thanks for the help.

slipstream IE6 SP1 into my install from the beginning so i don't have to worry about installing it during RunOnce Ex

How much work you plan on doing? Most probable answer is NO.

However, if you install patches, and then IE6 do you seriously think you won't get an error?

I have used XPCREATE to make a 2K disc, and have had no problems.

greenmachine.msfnhosting.com

Look into it. And Search.

• 4 weeks later...
However, if you install patches, and then IE6 do you seriously think you won't get an error?

it's completely understandable that i'm getting an error. i'm just happy to be saving myself time in the first place by using an unattended CD. it would be nice to fix the problem, though. is there any way i could slipstream the patches themselves? i'd rather not use XPCREATE, especially when i already have my unattended CD doing pretty much everything i want it to, although i'm willing to try anything.

WinCDman is notorious for creating non-working multi-boots!

Its better to do it manually.

In anycase, WinCDman does not *ACTUALLY* slip-stream IE6SP1 into win2k. It can only just merge windows Service Packs and hot-fixes. And its a good idea to not start thinking of multi-boot until one has everything else working fine. :P

WinCDman is notorious for creating non-working multi-boots!

Its better to do it manually.

In anycase, WinCDman does not *ACTUALLY* slip-stream IE6SP1 into win2k. It can only just merge windows Service Packs and hot-fixes. And its a good idea to not start thinking of multi-boot until one has everything else working fine. :P

I don't wish to be argumentative but it does integrate IE6, Messenger, Directx and Media player, also hotfixes and SPacks. Of course you can ask it to create a single OS cd but i never had a failure of any multiboot cd i created with it, although i usually only do 2 per cd ie OEM Home/Pro and Retail Home/Pro XP and Win2k Oem/Retail i also integrate $oem$ programs, drivers and codecs i use the results everyday to repair and build new computers.

Most including myself prefer doing it manually but i have found this to work very well for basic slipstream/integration but i have had great success in conjunction with other manual means too. B)

You can only try it, if you don't like it, dont use it... same goes for all forum available software, guides etc...