Delete Outlook Express from Quick Launch Bar

Time to give back to this very valuble site! :D

To remove that dratted Outlook Express Icon from the Quick Launch bar for good, for any new profile delete the stub path from this key

In regedit, locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Delete only the value 'StubPath' - (StubPath - REG_EXPAND_SZ - "%ProgramFiles%\Outlook Express\setup50.exe"/app:OE/CALLER:WINNT/user/install)

I remove it as part of a VBS Script, Create This file by pasting the text in to a VBS file

Dim WshShell, bKey

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.RegDelete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}\StubPath"

Regards

Ian

On win2k that doesn't work as each new profile has its own access defaults.

:(

even if OE isn't on the start menu its added to the quick lauch by default, clearing that key prevents the active setup portion of the registry from creating icon.

we use Outlook as a corperate std, and we still have dumb users who click on OE and wonder where their mail is ! so the icon has to go!

Regards

Ian

Thanks for sharing your tweak and script. I will keep it to avoid this annoying icon appearing in QuickLaunch bar on W2K installs.

For Registry Console Tool addicts

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}" /v StubPath /f

Here is the .REG file I use:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}]

"StubPath"=-

This works on Win 2000 and Win 2003 and XP