WinPE masstorage drivers -testing

Br4tt3

Hi folks...

I am using WinPE 1.2 ( the one based on WinXP ) and I am trying to add masstorage device drivers to the CD. I know how to add drivers of this kind, done a coupple of times, however, this time it will not work. I am trying to boot a server with a RAID controller and when running diskpart it crasches. My question is:

If I insert a ordinary XP CD and hit F6 to specify additional drivers and the OS swallows the drivers, would this be a GO sign for WinPE 1.2 ? and if the OS BSOD's cuz of the drivers, will this be a adequeate test to say that the drivers are not applicable on WinPE (1.2) since the drivers a ordinary meant for Windows 2003 server?

Hope u get the issue... Thanks and keep truckin

• 2 weeks later...

Crashing is Diskpart's way of saying "it cares". It also does this in 1.2 if it can't find any disks to muck with.

If you can F6 these drivers with a full OS cd, this would be a good indication they can work in WinPE.

What drivers are they?

Yup, if i hit F6 at boot I can load 3 of 6 drivers (for diffrent devices) while the 3 remaining drivers doesnt work with WinPE 1.2.

Also, HDD access is acchieved with the 3 mentioned above, 3 remaining doesnt list any when running:

list volume (diskpart)

Thats about it, now I have moved onto WinPE 1.5 ( where the same driver seems to work for all devices as long as I change the TXTSETUP.OEM file for each chipset I want to support.

Any1 know why MS changed this behaviour in WinPE 1.5 vs WinPE 1.2? The one that states, only chipsets listed in the [Defaults] section is used when doing PnP?

Take care.

As with a full blown Windows installation, i go F8 and choose debugg..

then I can see exactly which driver is used for the mounting of drives (RAID) etc etc... any way to do this in WinPE. My prob turned out to be a compability problem.

One supplied driver for a chipset worked ( to a certain point / not all features ) when it was using a nearby compatible driver. If I could just load some kind utility or what ever to verify which driver been selected due to PnP for which RAID I could eazyly saved some precious time...

Developers, where are u ? :)