Silent Keyboard and Mouse Drivers (various)...

Powerhouse

Trying to finish off my Unattended CD, and am stuck with Keyboard and Mouse drivers. Basically, I want whatever Keyboard and Mouse is actually plugged into a PC, to load the correct drivers.

I have both Logitech (MX700), and MS Intellimouse, as well as MS and Logitech Keyboards. I've tried just putting the drivers for logitech in my %OEM%\$1\Drivers\ but that doesn't seem to work. I have read this post by Bashrat the Sneaky where he lists this code...

if exist "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\LMouFlt2.Sys (
ECHO Bezig met het installeren van Logitech MouseWare 9.79 als een Logitech muis werd gedecteerd...
start /wait "%systemdrive%\Drivers\INPUT\MOUSE\MW979\Setup.exe -s -f1"
REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\Drivers\INPUT\MOUSE\MW979\MW.reg
)
if exist "%systemroot%\system32\itchfltr.sys (
ECHO Bezig met het installeren van Logitech iTouch 2.20...
start /wait "%systemdrive%\Drivers\INPUT\KB\IT220\iTouch.vbs"
REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\Drivers\INPUT\KB\IT220\iTouch.reg

Which I'm guessing you put in RunOnceEx.cmd. Not really sure what the MW.reg and iTouch.reg files contain though (and its not listed in the thread either).

It seems even more difficult for MS's Keyboard and Mouse software. I've searched and found this thread, which only lists how to install the software silently. But I would rather have it check to see if you have the hardware attached to your system before it installs anything.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

But I would rather have it check to see if you have the hardware attached to your system before it installs anything.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

I use devcon to output all the devices in your system to a text file and then grep for whatever hardware I want to install. It goes something like this:

@cd "%userprofile%\desktop"
@devcon findall hwids * > hwids.txt
@egrep -o -e -E "PCI\\VEN_10DE" hwids.txt
@if errorlevel = 1 then GOTO NOFIND
@path-to-device-install-executable.exe /silent-switch
:NOFIND
ECHO "Did not find device blah blah blah >> installlog.txt

You can find your device ID code by examining the hwids.txt file or using the Device Manager in SP2 and getting properties on your hardware device > details tab. The beauty of this method is by manipulating the amount of data in your grep string you can search for a company, the device family, or the specific device if you include the whole string. In my example above, egrep searches just for anything with an "Nvidia" hardware ID tag, beit graphics card or chipset and it will attempt an install for both unless I include more information. By including something like PCI\\VEN_10DE\&DEV_4A49\&SUBSYS_00021002" I narrow down the search to only Nvidia Geforce 4 MX graphics cards (this example is fake BTW).

You can run that from GUIRunOnce or RunOnceEX, anything as long as Windows is loaded (not tested, but I'm convinced that's a requirement).

You should add the drivers to your CD as described in the guide, so the base drivers get installed

short explanation:

IF EXIST driverfile (

ECHO blahblah

START /WAIT %VARIABLE%\path\SETUP.EXE /switches

REGEDIT /S %VARIABLE%\path\SETTINGS.REG

)

This .reg file contains the settings I've set and I import them so I don't have to set everything again :) .

I hope this helps you!

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Thanks Metzen, but I'm looking for a way to install the appropriate drivers on any system, not just a specific system.

Bashrat, thanks for the info, I am using a similar system in RunOnceEx.cmd for ATI driver installs. Here is the code...

IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "ATI Control Panel 4.9 w/ SmartGART" /f
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Drivers\ATI\Radeon\Setup.exe -s -f1 setup.iss" /f
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\atiddc.dll REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 2 /D "%systemdrive%\Install\ATI_CPanel\Setup.exe -s -f1 setup.iss" /f

So I was going to use the below code for the Logitech Keyboard and Mouse...

IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\drivers\LMouFlt2.sys REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "Logitech MouseWare v9.80" /f
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\drivers\LMouFlt2.Sys REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Drivers\Mouse\MW980\Setup.exe -s -f1"

IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\itchfltr.sys REG ADD %KEY%\003 /VE /D "Logitech iTouch v2.22" /f
IF EXIST %systemroot%\system32\itchfltr.sys REG ADD %KEY%\003 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\Drivers\Keyboard\IT222\\Setup.exe -s -f1"

Something I noticed:

1. You use iTouch.vbs. Is this some script you made or picked up from these forums?

Update

I checked 3 different systems today, here is what they have attached...

System 1. MS Natrual Keyboard and Logitech MX700 Mouse.

System 2. Logitech Cordless Keyboard Pro (mouse and keyboard).

System 3. MS Intellimouse Explorer v3.0 USB and Some Crappy HP Keyboard.

All 3 systems have the itchfltr.sys file under C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. None of the systems have itchfltr.sys under just the \System32 folder. So I don't think the above Logitech iTouch RunOnceEx section will work. Unless the itchfltr.sys file is copied to the \System32 folder if you have a newer Logitech Keyboard attached (as it wasn't on the System 2 above with the Logitech Cordless Keyboard Pro).

Ok, so after doing some testing (and checking on several systems at work). It appears that if you have a Logitech Keyboard, Windows will install the kbdhid.sys file under (windows\system32\drivers). I checked this out on the 3 systems mentioned above, and on about 15 different systems at work (none of which had logitech keyboards except the one listed in the above post).

However, I did find the file on a laptop (so it could be something that is used with Trackpoints or touchpads as well). But this appears to be a good file to use on Desktops.

If I could get some feedback from people with and without Logitech Keyboards if they could find the file kbdhid.sys on their system, we could possibly use this method to install the drivers silently (and only if the hardware is found on your system).

Well that might be a typo, or it must have changed. (I've tested it a couple of times and it worked, but it's been a long time since... so....)

This .vbs script is a script I made myself because any silent switches didn't work properly... Looking for the file now, I'll attach when I've found it!

Bâshrat the Sneaky

EDIT: found the file, hope this helps some...

iTouchl.vbs

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky