Adding capability to make boot floppies

DTS56

Recently, I got it into my head that it would be a really cool idea to add the ability to make boot floppies from the floppy images contained in my repair/recovery multiboot.

Then when I had finished, I realised that this is going to be of somewhat limited use as the whole point of a multiboot cd is to be able to boot from it and use the tools directly booted from the cd.

There only only a couple of practical uses that I can think of for such a utility. For older machines that don't support booting from eltorito you can make the bootable floppy for the tool that you require and then use the floppy (granted you will need another machine to do this though). The only other use is if you need to leave someone one of the tools, like say a 98 floppy, you can then make one there and then without any messing about.

Apart from this I can't think of any other practical uses for this but as it is only a fairly straightforward batch file using rawrite to write each floppy image it didn't take me too long to do and it is now there should I ever need it.

Can anybody else think of any other uses for such a tool?

Also if anyone is interested, I am quite willing to paste the code for this. It might save someone some time if anybody else is considering doing such a daft thing.

Regards,

DTS56

I think your tool(thou I have not 100% undestood what you really meen, but I could gess) is supperflous for all, who has read more than a few posts in this greate forum.

At the website of "Boot CD Wizard" session FAQ the author recmanded this method to boot from a (ATAPI-)CDROM drive if your MB BIOS dose not support the CDROM-Boot:

take a empty floppy and install the "smart boot manager" on it - that's all, no more floppy needed.

This tip was quoted thousands times all over the world, at least 50 times in this forum.

on the ultimate boot cd you have this tool.

from www.ultimatebootcd.com :

Disk Image Tools : Disk Image Writer

Original work by Adrian Stanciu. Writes disk images on UBCD to physical floppy disks.

with this tool you can make a floppy from an image, of course this is a solution only if you need to do a floppy for another person who don't really need the CD, or for an older computer.