cdshell: DOS boot problem

hTep

Hi all,

I've a nex problem with my dvd project.

I've made 3 boot image from dos progs as Partition magic 8, Norton ghost and a windows 98 SE boot disk image in order to flash bios and others...

I don't understand why but, since severals days, the boot of my Windows 98 SE image bugs after having displayed strange code lines...

here is a screenshot

e820: 00000000137ff000 0000000000001000 4

e820: 00000000fffc0000 0000000000040000 2

Ramdisk at 0x13660000, length 0x00168000

Disk is floppy, 1440 K, C/H/S = 80/2/18

Total size needed = 1493 bytes, allocating 2K

Old dos memory at 0x9fc00 (map says 0x9fc00), loading at 0x9f400

Strange is that when I boot on the boot image directly (without cdshell) with virtual PC, i've no error !!!

I've tried bcdw boot /IMG_BOOT/WIN98.IMA(G) and memdisk /IMG_BOOT/WIN98.IMA(G)... twice bug...

Can you help me please ?

So I made severals test... I change my virtual machine to vmware...

I thinks it's a memdisk problem...Because there is no error is the boot file (.IMG)

Is it the right command line for load the boot?

memdisk /IMG_BOOT/98SE.IMG

Thank you

Hi there,

Could I ask why it is better to use the bcdw unless it is absolutely necessary to use memdisk/diskemu.

I have produced a multiboot repair/recovery cd with dozens of tools, most of them use chain "image filename" but I have found that it was necessary to use bcdw for certain things, such as the acronis tools, but those that use memdisk/diskemu work just fine with no probs.

Just wondering why you suggest using bcdw in favour of memdisk/diskemu.

I already know that bcdw usually works when memdisk/diskemu won't, but I don't know enough about it to know whether or not it is supposed to be a complete replacement and/or even better than just a complete replacement.

Just wondering.

Regards

DTS56

bcdw is applicatable for almost any type of image files, is more intelligent and tolerant

. Memdisk/diskemu do many internal checks before excution, is unflexible and much untolerant. By using bcdw you avoid many potential problems in advance.

Hi there,

Thanks HTC for the clear reply.

So basically bcdw is an all round replacement for memdisk/diskemu and also it is better than them.

As I have already built my utility cd do u think any mileage in changing it all to use bcdw instead, or is that just a waste of time seeing as it all works anyway.

Regards,

DTS56

sure, but another advantage of bcdw, I think no one else mentioned it before(it could be world premiere here), is the possiblity to use the truncated image.

For example, a 2.88mb floppy image have only 1.5mb data, the "truncated image" will be just 1.5mb in size - you save 1.38mb in cd space. This is special useful for the case if you want to integrate UBCD (The Ultimate boot CD v2.4) into your multiboot CD, which has hundreds of floppy images on it. I have reduced the size of that by 60%-80%(additionally by deleting some unfunctional util. and docs)!

Hi there,

Hey that's really cool.

I didn't know that about bcdw.

I don't use UBCD, I have made my own repair/recovery/utility cd with dozens of tools on it, but still nowhere near the limit so no real space worries at the moment, but its still well worth knowing that bcdw can do that for when/if I start to get close to the cd space limits.

Thank you for sharing that snippet of info - it's one that is well worth remembering.

Cheers,

DTS56

If you create your own boot cd you can also integrate some other software (not only for the boot/diagnostic) i.e antivirus/firewall/service packs/updates etc. on the bootable cd so that a maximun utilization of space could reachen and you do not need to keep too many diff. cds. In some cases it is just 5mb too large - then bcdw could be helpful.