WINDOWS PROBLEM

SHONNIE

I hope someone can help please.

First off my windows file got corrupted some how and my computer wouldnt boot past the start up screen. I tried on numerous occassions to just reinstall windows xp pro but that didn't solve the problem so what i did was install windows xp on my slave drive that way i could back up my master drive and reinstall windows from scratch.

Being the curious person that I am I went into the windows files on my master drive and just started delecting files such as msocache and windows updates in hopes that maybe if i tried to reinstall windows xp pro again it would work which it did. I have since that time deleted windows off my slave drive.

The thing is now I can't download up any window updates on my master drive what happens is the updates try to install files on the slave drive and it can't cause windows isn't there anymore. So in turn the windows updates fail.

Now every time i try to reinstall windows office 2003 back on my master it tries to install msocache files on the slave drive.

What can I do to get these windows file to recogonize my master drive as the drive with windows again and not the slave drive. I have reinstalled windows xp pro twice on my master drive since i deleted windows off my slave drive nothing seems to work.

So if anyone can help me to fix it so that all my files especially windows files recognize my master drive as the drive with windows (some files do a self install so you don't have the option to choose which drive to install to) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks Sorry for the long story

Would have to agree with Black Flame, backup all work you have done, and re-install XP and all apps

In your attempt, by deleting random files you have created more problems, with most not yet obvious to you.

Yeah! Someone up there likes me!

Best thing to do is to backup all your docs and other stuff to a CD/DVD, format both your hard drives, install XP as a clean install on the main hard drive, then install all apps once done. As oioldman said, deleting then files there have created more problems. Windows Update folder stores the temp files that the windows update site downloaded, and the msocache i think all .msi installers (like Office 2003) stores temp files there. Correct me if I'm wrong!