Remove Outlook Express.lnk

People,

Is there a way to remove the Oulook Express.lnk from the start menu for ALL USERS? Cuz it's not under the "All User" or "Default Users" but I believe it's generated after a "new" logon.

I know how to do it PER user, but not for all the users. Meaning any new user who logs on will not get the icon? I want to fit this anywhere during my unattented I can just as long as it only runs once and not every time a user logs on.

So far the only way I've found is by modifying the sysoc.inf file in the \Windows\inf\ directory removing all the "hide" instances allowing me to remove Express manualy through "Add/Remove Windows Components" but unfortunalty this is not ideal firstly because I do not know how or if I can have this done through the unattended process, Secondly I do not know what this will affect in the long term.

Any help would be fantastic!

Generic

Well see thats the thing.. I'd LLLLOOOOVE to remove that crappy program but I think that Outlook 2003 relies on it and I think it's totally incoroporated in windows so I think it'd not be in my best interests to do such a thing. So I guess I'd be a very happy person if I could just get rid of that Link.

You can remove it using the nLite setup program under the components removal or you can delete the actual .lnk file during setup like this(you will need to know the exact location of the file)

ECHO Removing useless shortcuts...

DEL "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Oulook Express.lnk"

I use this line to remove 20 or more link from my desktop and start menu for all profiles in my start.cmd file.

Also you might be able to turn it off in your winnt.sif file under the [Components] section but I'm not positive and have not yet experimented.

The first two I have tested succesfully and has not affected outlook. I too AM a outlook fan and NOT of Express.

I have never tried this on XP, but we used this method when we deployed Windows 2000. It will prevent Outlook Express from creating it's shortcuts when a new profile is created:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Select the Stubpath value name in the right hand pane and delete it.

Yea see, I can't really use the:

DEL "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Oulook Express.lnk"

because it's not under this profile. Neither is it under the "default user" profile. If I wanted to do it that way I'd have to use:

DEL "%AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook Express.lnk"

Which doesn't help. If you actually explorer the Profiles you'll see it's under every other user profile except these two (Default and All Users). It'd be a no-brainer then. I'd put the deletion into my CleanUp.Cmd file where I have my other links being deleted. it's just this one thats evading me.

But see this icon is generated during the Profile creation. So I need some reg key that will stop this link from being created. I could use some login script or GPO or even a VBS script (which I allready have) but these solutions are still based on a single user login and not a global effect.

Any other suggestions?

Generic

So I need some reg key that will stop this link from being created.
Uh....what about this one?
I have never tried this on XP, but we used this method when we deployed Windows 2000. It will prevent Outlook Express from creating it's shortcuts when a new profile is created:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Select the Stubpath value name in the right hand pane and delete it.