Space Saving Tip through file compressing

Hi there,

maybe I'm very late with this tip, but I didn't found any post regarding this topic.

I use the following way to save space on my unattended install cd. You need 7zip program to do this:

0) Install 7zip on your hd

1) Compress program installers (into 1) 7zip archive.7z. Do this for all files in the $OEM$\$Progs\ folder too. (programs.7z)

2) Copy the 7z.exe into the $1\install\ folder

3) You need the following line(s) in the install.cmd:

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\7z.exe x -y -bd %systemdrive%\install\archive.7z
copy /Y %systemdrive%\install\programs.7z %ProgramFiles%\
cd %ProgramFiles%
start /wait %systemdrive%\install\7z.exe x -y -bd %ProgramFiles%\programs.7z
del programs.7z
cd %systemdrive%\install

(I don't know how to specify the target directory - therefore the long way around.)

This works especially for .msi files and saves me e.g. about 60MB space and up! It costs some seconds during the installation, but saves a lot of space on your CD/DVD.

This works for the install.cmd method. I don't use the RunOnceEx method, so there can be some problems. Anyone here who did this the other way?

Grtz!

vonsaher

Hi vondaher.

I use winrar for this task.

1. I created sfx file $Progs with all my Program Files inside using winrar ability to use different modes and specifying where to extract files.

2. I put $Progs.exe into $$.exe file where I compressed all my files from $$ folder, using same method described above.

3. put $$.exe into $1 folder

4. added line to the Winnt.sif file

[GuiUnattended]

DetachedProgram="%systemdrive%\$$.exe"

Even 7-zip gives best commpression that WinRar , it save a lot of space on my Cd.

moo