W2K + RIS + "unsupported" Intel PXE NIC

Feigned

This may be the wrong forum...I'm not 100% sure where this would go.

Having some trouble getting the onboard Intel Pro 1000 connection on this Intel D865GBF P4 board working with RIS. It fails on text-mode setup where it actually needs the device driver to successfully copy files locally and begin installation.

I've Googled a bit and discovered that you should be able to drop a few files into the i386 directory of whatever image you want, and it should recognize the NIC, continuing on with the installation.

I could drop a Realtek 8139 based NIC into the system but that would defeat the entire purpose.

Please advise!

There are quite a few resources for this problem, and a pretty decent knowledge base article over at MS too.

Essentially what you need to do is go to Intel's site and download the latest and greatest drivers from them. You should also notice a download available that is described something like ".INF file for RIS". Or something to that effect. Download that too.

Decompress your drivers to a temp directory. You can combine the driver files for the 100 and the 1000 based NICs into one directory, overwriting any duplicates. Now copy all of those files to your i386 directory (of your RIS image). Then copy over the .inf file I talked about above to the i386 directory.

Next, set up your .SIF file for the RIS image to look for OEM PnP drivers and copy the driver files there too (this whole process has been documented here and elsewhere adinfinitum). DO NOT copy the special RIS .inf file to this directory however. Also in your $OEM$ make a directory called $$, then inside $$ make a directory called inf. Copy the driver .inf files there. Again, do not copy the special RIS .inf file here.

Finally, stop and then start again the BINL service. Now the first time you try to RIS one of your clients it may fail, so if it does, try again. When you do RIS a client, your RIS server will create the necessary .PNF files in the i386 directory in your RIS image.

Notes: The special RIS .inf file is simply meant to get the NIC up and going for the installation. The regular .inf files that come with the drivers will actually install the NIC properly during the PnP enumeration part of setup.

I ran across a thread here in the XPCreate forum that mentioned something along the lines of using a RIS specific .inf file but I didn't want to hop into my images and start gallavanting around pretending I knew what was going on.

It works like a champ, I appreciate your very helpful post. :D