MMC / Disk Management

Treeman

After SP2 dorked Firewire 1394 with the "certified" drivers they knew I just had to have for security reasons, my external firewire drive went dead. I fixed the problem myself by renaming the SP2.cab files to SP2_dead.cab and reinstalling the SP1 drivers for my firewire pci card. (if you don't rename the SP2 folder in Windows, it will autmatically re-install the SP2 drivers . . . more security)

The files I changed to SP1 were; 1394bus.sys, ohci1394.sys, arp1394.sys, & nic1394.sys. After I did that, I was able to access the external drive through Windows Explorer. I can format/write/read/and use a 3rd. party backup utility to backup to the drive. But Wait! When you fix something, the rule is: something else will break. MMC/Disk Management. If I use this utility, it hangs, then reports that Drive E: Maxtor is unreadable; 0 bytes/ 0 data / this drive is working properly!

No help from Maxtor or MS support. So I'm stumped. The hint is that SP2 really looks at firewire 1394 as a network device, and yes you can network computers with it. But what is blocking the MMC Console from seeing my #@%*#$ external drive? :realmad:

Thanks,

Treeman