Slow XP Install from CDROM in DOS

I have an install that I have created on a CD that uses Bart's method for bootable CDs (http://nu2.nu). I have three different floppy images that can be loaded upon booting the CD. The first loads DOS starts up partition magic and partitions my drives based on a script I wrote - this is working fine. The second again loads DOS but this time it loads network drivers, maps a network drive and begins the XP install from the network (install source files are on the network) using winnt.exe and an answer file. The third again loads DOS but this time it starts the XP install from the CD (install source files are on the CD) using winnt.exe and an answer file. Both source files (including the answer file) on the network and on the CD are identical.

I have noticed that the network version of the install run SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the CD version. When I say it runs faster, I am only referring to the first stage (where files are copied from the source to the hard drive). In the case of the network, it takes about 5 minutes to copy the files down. In the case of the CD it takes at least 30 minutes if not more.

I have tried different DOS CD drives (mscdex and shcdx). I have tried enabling emm386 and even using a replacement for emm386 (UMBPCI.SYS). Does anyone have any ideas / previous experiences on why this might be running so slow from the CD? I'm open to anyone's suggestions.

TIA

I am using smartdrv.exe in both cases. In both cases its just Bart's modboot floppy image with either networking or cdrom capability added respectively.

I did try to manually start smartdrv.exe and see if that changed anything (thinking that somehow it wasn't getting loaded properly in autoexec.bat). And it didn't change anything.

Any other ideas?

From what I remember smartdrv.exe doesn't support CD-Rom drives. I remember having a speed issue with a bootable CD rom I made a while back, and determined smartdrv.exe was for HDDs only.

I may be wrong, or someone may have done a mod'd smartdrv.exe that does work on CD-Roms.

-nARkwS-