Weird Login lockout

Fodder

I have an interesting issue with an image I'm building. I have set an administrator password and have the screensaver set to time out in ten minutes with a password required on resume. There is no problem after having logged in already. The problem occurs if I turn on the machine and don't log in right away and allow the screen saver to activate. At this point it is impossible to log in with any account. If I reboot and log in immeadiately, there is no problem. Any ideas? I am running Windows XP SP1 with the latest patches.

Just as a follow-up. I have sort of hacked around this problem by editting the .default registry entry HCU\.default\Control Panel\Desktop\ScreenSaverIsSecure back to 0. This seems to have solved the issue for when no-one is logged in.

Did you hack your EXPLORER file? Basically thats what controlls your start menu. If you hacked that, and you messed up, Windows won't do a full logon. If you did what I did and left the original EXPLORER file alone, and told XP to use a new program EXPLORER2 instead, you can partially log on (it'll give you an error) and then CTRL+ALT+DELETE and start a new task, then run regedit, and change the default back to the normal EXPLORER file.

This only applies if you hacked this file, but it sounds like what happened to me. Hopefully this will help.