MUI in unattended mode with cmdlines.txt

:wacko:

Dear All,

Sorry to bother all with this often discussed issue, but till now I did not find a solution that solves my problem. I have built an unattended installation DVD with XP - slipstreamed SP2, Office XP - slipstreamed SP3, MUI (german) for XP, MUI(german) for Office. The only problem I have is caused by the installation of the MUI for windows. I copied the MUI package in the folder $oem$\$1\Install\muiinst of the setup DVD.

In the cmdlines.txt I added.

[Commands]

"Install\muiinst\muisetup.exe -i 0407 -d 0407 -r -s"

I also tested

[Commands]

"%systemdrive%\Install\muiinst\muisetup.exe /i 0407 /d 0407 /r /s"

But the installation did not start during excecution the cmdlines.txt (something like file not found in the error log, I don't know it by hearts exactly).

The regtweaks I called in the cmdlines.txt are executed well but not the MUISETUP. I know I could copy the command in a batch but I would know it. I followed the MS guide. The files are all copied to the harddrive. I also found out - if I call the command for MUI installation by the command prompt and I use the complete command in quotion mark ("...") I got the error message file not found. If I leave any all switches like '/i 0407' and execute muisetup by ""%systemdrive%\Install\muiinst\muisetup.exe" the program starts. Without quotation marks and option switches it works as well. But for the cmdlines.txt I have to state each comment in quotation marks.

Has anyone solved that problem or found the fault I did?

Thanks

README.TXT:

5.0  INSTALLING MUI PACK IN UNATTEND MODE

1. Copy all the MUI files from MUI CDs into a temporary directory on a

network share, such as $OEM$\MUIINST.

2.  Add a "Cmdlines.txt" file in \\muicore\UNATTEND\$OEM$ that includes

the following lines:

[Commands]"muiinst\muisetup.exe [/i LangID1 LangID2 ...] [/d LangID] /r /s"

If you have the files in $oem$\$1\Install\muiinst, you should have this in cmdlines.txt:

[Commands]

"%systemroot%\Install\muiinst\muisetup.exe /i 0407 /d 0407 /r /s"

But I am unsure if cmdlines.txt handles variables like that.... :blushing:

Edited by ToBe

What I did to make it work was to have the files in $oem$\muiinst,

then this line in cmdlines.txt:

[Commands]

"muiinst\muisetup.exe -i 0407 -d 0407-r -s"

Somehow the /i /d /r /s switches didn't work, but the -i -d -r -s did....

Hello,

as described I tested both methods - with and without systemvariables. I also changed the "/" to "-" as described in serveral forums. The only thing I have changed to the original Readme, which I read before, of MS is the additional subfolder Install. I am somehow sure that the problem is not related to this addtitinal folder. If MS had not decribed the possibility I would go the way by using a traditional batch file - but now I am nosey because I can not go a described way and this is somehow an ugly feeling in my chest.

Thank for any useful response

Never say never,

I finally solved the problem. I assumed that you can store the files in an additional subfolder - but no way. It work when you store the MUI package directly under muiinst in the $OEM$ folder. Any additional folder creates faults. By the way, after installing SP2 Microsoft changes the program muisetup. To avoid any problems replace the existing muisetup by the newone.