CdShell experiment

FuzzBall

Well, i noticed in the new version of CdShell it says you cvan use "diskemu" to load two images at once...

So, here's my delema:

1) Turn on PC, CdShell loads Image #1

--This disk is a bootable DOS disk that executes "Tweak.exe /load" (need it to set an IRQ for a device)

2) CdShell loads Image #2

---This image contains a bootloader capable of either going to the MBR, or loading linux (I do not have windows on the system this is being run on)

So, to make it short i am trying to... Load up DOS run TWEAK, then load up linux WITHOUT doing a reboot after running tweak.

So, my huge ordeal here is, I CANT REBOOT!

please. any help or sugestions would be greatly apreciated.

I think the problem is (and I could be mistaken) that you can only load two images if the first one is loaded as NOBOOT. Is it possible to modify the Linux loader to call the tweak.exe program from the first image?

The BCDW can load/execute some dos programm(which only the BIOS interupt used), at least the new alpha verion has a example/demo script.

So theoretical you kann write a .com utility to set the chipsets register value of your MB, then load the linux-image.

The wish to load two images in succession is not really practicable because after excution of first image the control of CPU (Instrution Pointer) will not go back to the CD Shell, which has been destroied already at the time of loading the first image. If someone could write a utility to rebuild the CD Shell memory and stake structure and give the control back to it, it would be possable. But I donnt think such util will ever exist.(such util must be very special for a OS so that the limited usage...)

If you want to load two images AT ONCE, it is possable to load them at diff. adress, the first one at 7C00, the other at anywhere else. At the end of excution of the first image you must add a costum util to jump to the entry point of the second image, or first move the second image to the 7C00, then jump to 7C00...

So anyway, you HAVE TO do some changes in the first image, at present it is not easy.

Perhaps in the future Mike could implenment such function: load two images at once, catch up the soft-reset/warm-restart interupt to a special routine, jump to first image 7C00. At the end of first image you must just put a restart command or press ctrl-alt-del key-combi, the hidden CD Shell routine comes out and move the second image to 7C00 then boot it... In this case all you need to do is add a reboot command in 1st image or just a key-combi... It icould be very practiical in the following scenario: you load the acronis partition expert 2003 and win xp setup at one, after you've finished the partitioning of your hdd and closed the partition expert(it will reboot automatically), the win xp setup will automatic run without rebooting....

Back to your question of the "noboot " option of diskemu:

this option load a image as floppy [b:], but not boot it, then you can load a floppy [A:] and boot it. In some case(if the two images have DOS as OS) you can add a command at the end of your autoexec.bat to boot [b:]:

B:
autoexec.bat

It is also practical to load your raidcontroller-driverdisk with this option(as floppy a:) and then chain the windows XP/2k/2K3 boot sector. The famous DOOM9 has complained he could not install windows xp on his new computer which has no floppy drive but a sata raid controller(xp want to load the driver from a:). So though DOOM9 knows a lot of DVD-Backup but noththing of "diskemu"!

Fuzzball:

Is there a reason you can't set the IRQ in the BIOS? I assume this is a PCI device (or onboard) which means you should be able to control what IRQ it uses - or at least what IRQ the PCI port it's in uses.

Hmm, thank you for that info.

Unfortunatly the Linux machine that i was trying to acomplish this on DOES NOT allow you to edit any IRQ or system resource settings...

I guess this is a lost cause...

Thanks for all your help.