Is it necessary to make SP2 CD

It's probably a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway.

On the guide pages it tells you to make an SP2 CD and copy to C:\XPCD.

The thing is I dont want to add the big SP2 download to the CD, as, the way I understand it theres alot of stuff on there that I would not need/use anyway. And beside that I have SP2 on disc anyway, and dont mind installing it afterwards, as it only takes about ten minutes.

Thanks for any responses...

It is better to install a SP2 intregrated cd than a upgrade install of SP2. It is a clean install with less problems.

It does not take up too much more room intregrating the service pack as most files are replaced when slipstreamed.

Yes, its always better to slip-stream the latest SP into the windows install. It saves on time.

Also, it saves some head-ache. Some major modifications are made to the system when you install SP2 - which might make some apps stop working, or work differently. If you already have SP2 merged, you won't have those worries. Many worms will not affect you either - since SP2 has a better firewall.

And anyway, if not today, you need to upgrade to SP2 tomorrow. So why not do it today itself (I mean, merging into CD as the guide says) if you don't have any problematic apps (any apps which give problems after SP2).

OK Guys, thanks for the input.

The reason I asked was not for wanting to save HD space, I have more than enough of that. It was purely to save space on the disc.

You see, the way I see it after making the SP2 CD. I have already used up 671MB on CD-R, now that doesnt leave much room for many apps, if any.

Yes, I know I can make a DVD, but please correct me if I'm wrong. CD-ROM reads at 48x, DVD-RW reads at 4x. That would mean installation would be over 10x slower, wouldn't it?

Would it not take an age to install?

Thanks again...

It was purely to save space on the disc.
Even there, slip-streaming is the better option.

If your XP CD was 550 MB before any service packs (I mean windows alone), after SP2 it will be about 570 MB. That is all the difference - and this small difference saves you loads of head-aches!

And even after the CD has become 570 MB, you can reduce the size - following the link given by MHz (to the guide), you can reduce it to be just 390 MB! :yes: (and that too, without losing anything that will be missed by you!)

I would have to agree, SP2 will save you a lot of grief. Just the IE Add-on manager alone is worth the upgrade!

Slipstreaming it into the disc makes it MUCH more efficient than merely installing it afterwards. It also makes the system stable (well as stable as a MS OS can get).

If you need more space, just delete the I386\LANG folder (worked fine for me anyways) and that'll save you ~100MB.