Newbie Questions Here!

ank

i successfully burned a sweet cd yesterday with xpcreate. im surprised that it worked w/o errors. nice work on that tool so far, really.

the next thing i test is, if it creates dvds as well as nice as cds with included custom drivers.

theres a next version to be released soon?

• 2 weeks later...

HOW TO XPCREATE WIN2003 (MSDN)

Thought I would try this newbie thread before creating a new one.

I have been using XPCREATE very successfully with XPPro and I am now trying to do the same with Win2003 Enterprise Server. I have been using my MSDN (Microsoft Developers Network) CDs to do this.

The problem is the Win2003 CD does not work. The XPPro CD has no problem. Here is info on the Win2003 CD:

MSDN - Windows Server 2003 (Enterprise, Standard)
Disc 2066
May 2003
+---ENGLISH
|   \---WIN2003
|       +---ENT
|       |   +---DOCS
|       |   +---I386
|       |   +---PRINTERS
|       |   +---SUPPORT
|       |   \---VALUEADD
|       \---STANDARD
|           +---DOCS
|           +---I386
|           +---PRINTERS
|           +---SUPPORT
|           \---VALUEADD
+---W3KE
|   \---SYSTEM32
\---W3KS
   \---SYSTEM32

If I leave XPSOURCE blank (default - works with XPPro) I get this:

XPSOURCE=

--  1:43:37 --> Looking for CD Source.
--  1:43:37 --> Trying to extract the Boot Image.
--  1:43:37 --> Source does not appear to be a CD.
    Error: Cannot find XP Source.
    Value: \I386
    Press Enter to Exit.

If I point XPSOURCE to the Enterprise directory, I get this:

XPSOURCE=E:\ENGLISH\WIN2003\ENT

--  1:39:17 --> Looking for CD Source.
--  1:39:17 --> Trying to extract the Boot Image.
--  1:39:17 --> Source does not appear to be a CD.
    Error: Cannot find BOOTIMG file.
    Value: BOOT\XPCTBOOT.BIN
    Press Enter to Exit.

It seems from other posts that it is possible to use XPCREATE for Win2003 MSDN; in fact, I think even greemachine has mentioned making 2003 from MSDN.

Perhaps I am using the wrong disc or I am missing some other info. I have searched the forum for "Win2003," W2K3," "MSDN," etc., but have not found any clues to this problem. Can anyone give me a hand getting 2003 going?

Thanks!

Get the boot image (BOOT\XPCTBOOT.BIN) from your XP XPCREATE directories, and put it in the BOOT directory, and point XPSOURCE to the source (E:\ENGLISH\WIN2003\ENT). That should do it ...

I use the MSDN VLK version of XP, which is a bootable CD. XPCREATE is not designed to work "automatically" with non-bootable CDs.

Get the boot image (BOOT\XPCTBOOT.BIN) from your XP XPCREATE directories, and put it in the BOOT directory, and point XPSOURCE to the source (E:\ENGLISH\WIN2003\ENT). That should do it ...

I was able to create an ISO and ran it in Virtual PC (as always), but I received the following from the setup program:

Setup cannot find the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

Setup cannot continue. To quit, press F3.

I have never seen this message from XPPro. Also, I did not create a WINNT.SIF or $OEM$, though I would not expect a message like the above. Indeed I do not get this message when I do the same with XPPro.

Is the WINNT.SIF (and $OEM$) for 2003 substantially different from XPPro? Or is there something else I need to do? I admit I have not researched this yet (I was just hoping for the best ;-)

I use the MSDN VLK version of XP, which is a bootable CD. XPCREATE is not designed to work "automatically" with non-bootable CDs.

I am using a Universal Subscription. What is VLK? BTW, my XPPro CD (Disc 1847.1 - July 2003) is bootable and I suppose that is why it works.

Thanks for your help!

Setup cannot find the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA).

Setup cannot continue. To quit, press F3.

{/QUOTE]

Off the top of my head, its a txt file of some sort that has to be in...

er...

i386 or the root of the cd (not sure but most likely i386)

most likely called EULA.txt

It should be on your original cd somewhere - but i think so long as the file exists and contains text content, it should be fine.

Hope this hopes but this is only a guess at the moment - not 100% on it.

Good luck,

N.

Now that I think of it, I seem to remeber something about the path to the EULA being hardcoded into the text-based portion of setup. For that reason, you cannot change the directory structure. XPCREATE, I fear, will NOT work with these MSDN versions.

WIN2003 and WINXP WINNT.SIF are quite similar, but not "exactly" the same. Still, you do not even need WINNT.SIF.

VLK = Volume Licensing Kit. It does not require activation. I got my version from the MSDN collection.

The easiest solution would be to simply get a hold of the 6 month trial version of Windows 2003, and use that. That is what I do.

yep yep yep....

I got the VLK version here at work (not from MSDN - and yes, bought legally hehe) and with the two server's I got at the time [HP Compaq Proliant ML350 G3], I use them with the SmartStart CD which turns it install into an automated install....

Of course, I cant just wipe the servers (ahhh the staff wont mind hehe) otherwise I'd try a XPCREATE with the 2003 VLK CD and see what happens.... well, if I ever have to, I'll try it :)

...[when I find the CD -left it somewhere hehe- , I'm gonna check for the EULA file. I'm sure its just a txt file that has to exist and exist in the exact same place as it is on the original cd]...

Regards,

N.

HOW TO XPCREATE WIN2003 (MSDN) -- PROBLEM SOLVED

Turns out to quite simple...

Now that I think of it, I seem to remeber something about the path to the EULA being hardcoded into the text-based portion of setup. For that reason, you cannot change the directory structure. XPCREATE, I fear, will NOT work with these MSDN versions.

In the TXTSETUP.SIF file, changing the line:

SetupSourcePath = "\ENGLISH\WIN2003\ENT\"

TO

SetupSourcePath = "\"

Will allow the CDSOURCE to work properly. I am not sure if this minor change is OK under GreenMachine's EULA. I hope he will let it slide, because the alternatives are not very appealing.

Thanks for helping out!

• 2 weeks later...