xp install question

Homer123456

when you buy pc pre installed with xp and you switch on for the first time it asks you for the serial number and activation and so on.... i was wondering how do you get to do that? is there an exe program you run and wipe everything or is the something you need to do on the setup? cheers.

no what i meant is when you buy a computer from dell it has xp pre installed but when you power it on it wants you in enter the serial number on the side of the machine i want to know how they did that out of curiouisty... i dont want to do it to anyone i just wanted to know how they do that

Sysprep

The System Preparation tool, Sysprep.exe, is a disk-image-based deployment tool that you can use to install identical configurations on multiple computers. You can also use Sysprep to customize and automate MiniSetup and to audit computers. You can run Sysprep as many times as you want; however, if you are using a non-volume licensed version, you can only run Sysprep.exe and the MiniSetup Wizard three times on the same operating system installation. You cannot run Sysprep a fourth time. This also applies to Riprep.

On a reference computer, install the operating system and any applications that you want installed on your destination computers, and then run Sysprep. Sysprep prepares the hard disk on the reference computer for duplication to other computers. You can then run a third-party disk-imaging application. The major advantage of Sysprep installation is speed. The image can be packaged and compressed; only the files required for the specific configuration are created as part of the image. The shortened GUI-mode Setup can take five or six minutes instead of 45 to 60 minutes and prompts the user only for required and user-specified information.

Because the reference and destination computers are required to have identical HALs and ACPI support, you might be required to maintain multiple images for your environment.

Important

Before performing disk duplication, check with your software vendor to make sure that you are not violating the licensing agreement for installation of the software that you want to duplicate.

Source: Microsoft Web Site