does anyone know anything about cars?

voltaic

so this is a gearhead forum, right??

jk

anyway, i don't need another messageboard subscription, so i'm asking this here.

there was an episode of the tv show "Overhaulin" where they constructed a subwoofer box using a method that involved streching a peice of stretchy fabric over a VERY basic form and just put some kind of resin over, and then (presumably) just fiberglassed over the whole thing and put a finish on it.

i'm wondering if anyone knows if this procedure has a specific name, and even better, if anyone knows of any books or online resources that can give a crash course on how to do it.

in case you are the type that needs to know which episode, it was the one where they painted all of those stars on the side of an explorer (i think it was an explorer anyway)

"Lucky Star"

thanks.

-Voltaic

I'm in the UK and can't say i've ever heard of is method of Sub Box construction.

Have you tried a google search?

However, There is a material your asking about that you used to be able to get from model shops for making model planes. If the material shrank to the basic form, then this sound vary simular to the stuff i have used in the past to make model planes - i use the iron on material which does the same job and not so messy. But the old material was faily strong and would take the same shape as the form. But i cant see this working with a sub box, due to the amount of pressure in the box - even if it was ported (unless the used some cheap low power sub).

I have just built a twin 12" box for my JL Pro subs in my van, the amount of Sound pressure this creates is enough to affect your speach! and you can certainly feel it in your chest! So a box made of material and fibreglass would have to be very very thick to keep the pressure and mass correct for the sub.

There is a very simple formula to convert between cm3 and Litres:-

1 centimeter cubed = 0.001 litres

Hope this is of some help. :unsure:

i make sub boxes all the time. all they did was take any material, a sheet, a flannel shirt, cotton t shirt, anything. you put it around something. like a cube made of wood. then you get fiberglass resin and you brush it on the material. it hardens very quickly and makes the material very strong. are you going to make a custom box or something? i don't know of any "instructions" for this. you simply get the shape you want by internal supports (wood, aluminum, etc) and you drape the material how you want it to set. then brush on the resin. that easy.