SATA Drivers Not Loading During GUI Setup Stage

MindMaster

Hi All,

I am trying to put "Documents and Settings" onto my SATA (D:) drive along with Inetpub. I have successfully been able to slipstream the SATA drivers into my Windows 2003 CD such that

a. During text mode they are detected- I know this because I can select the SATA drive as the Windows installation drive.

b. Upon first login I can see the SATA drive.

The problem is that during GUI Setup mode the disk appears to be unavailable.

a. I get an error well before T-12 that effectively Inetpub cannot be written to and b. When I first logon my C drive has Microsoft, Administrative tools, and similar directories at the root (presumably unable to place them appropriately on the D drive.) and my profile cannot be found. Rebooting the profile is found but there is nothing in program files and essentially any files related to my Documents and Settings are not installed.

Any ideas on how to get around this would be most appreciated. I already checked that the OemPnPDriversPath drivers path is set correctly in WINNT.SIF.

Thanks in advance!

Me

HOW are you copying to documents and settings? Are you using a folder with that name? (that would be copying a folder named 'Documents and Settings'...???)

Because if you're doing as I suggest you're copying, then I'm afraid that might not be working properly... Please use the %userprofile% variable. (this points to X:\Documents and Settings\your_username)

What/why exactly are you trying to copy to documents and settings?

Not at all. I am not copying anything to "Documents and Settings." Sorry to have been confusing.

In WINNT.SIF I have [GuiUnattended] with "ProfileDir=D:\UserData" and[internetServer] with PathFTPRoot and PathWWWRoot set to a directory under D:\InetPub.

I am not copying any files manually anywhere. I simply want the D&S and Inetpub directories to be located on my SATA RAID drives and not on C. Unfortunately, although the SATA drives are working during text mode and after login they do not appear to be working properly during GUI Mode. Perhaps something else is wrong, not sure, but the data is not getting copied and the installation of IIS is not working.

Thanks!

I have made one small step forward in resolving this. The problem I am having now is that the drive letter is E: instead of D:. As a result I am having the same issues as before but at least the drivers are being loaded.

If I don't install the drivers using F6 (or slipstreaming) them and then install the drivers after I log in the drive letter is D. I have to install them using F6 (or slipstreaming them), however, in order to place the ProfilesDir and InetPub on D:. The problem is that when I do this the drive letter ends up being E. The D: drive letter is skipped entirely.

How can I change it so the drive letter is D rather than E?

Thanks in advance!

ok my friend

this is how it works peiod:

when WindowsXP setup has starts, any additional detected hard drives that have

existing partitions will be assigned drive letters first

if the drive doesnt have a partition it is "ignored" and the next volume gets drive letter.(lets say the cd-rom)

i think what you should do is this:

leave the unattended "open" to select the drives then format them as whatever you want(c:,d:\)

then everything else with be unattaneded and everything should work