"invalid syntax error" on my windows xp

ladybug59

whenever i try to open my internet explorer, my yahoo page doesn't come up, just the message "invalid syntax error" and a bunch of jibberish 60%@#*and anything else it feels like doing. i've gone into the tools, internet options, changed the home page address to yahoo, clicked apply and then ok. when i then go to my internet explorer icon and click on it, yahoo comes up, but when i close it down and try to go back in, i get that stupid syntax error message. can anyone help me as i've been putting up with this for a LONG time.

thanks,

ladybug59

Sounds like a spyware problem. I'd suggest downloading the latest version of Spybot and maybe Adaware too. Update both to the latest definitions, restart your computer in safe mode and scan and remove any found spyware with both programs.

Also after you have done that, it would be a good idea to upgrade to Service Pack 2 if you haven't already. There's quite a few enhancements and it'll help a little to prevent future spyware (built-in popup blocking). But make sure you scan and remove any found spyware first.

Paul

Also, since you're messing with a spyware webpage redirector, you may also want to run a program called "Hijack This" (also freeware) in addition to spybot and adaware. It looks in the registry for stuff that may redirect your homepage.

Paul