Some small problems

I'm helping out in a local pc-shop. The only thing I don't really like is the installation of windows XP, since it isn't automated :(

So I'm trying to create an unattended xp installation cd, and already have a problem.

When I'm using the setup manager, he requires a name and organization, wich is a small problem, since the unattended install will be used for new computers with, off course, different owners.

Is there a way to first install everything and ask for a name after al the installation tasks have been done?

Second, there's the productkey. The original OEM-versions of windows XP home are delivered with the new pc, but they have different productkeys. Is it possible to ask this key after installation? Or is there another way to solve this problem?

Thx a lot :)

There's 2 options to solve this:

1. This solution will make your setup non-automatic:

Leave out the lines concerning username, organisation, and product key. Then it will ask you to input it the normal way, but be automatic for everything else.

2. Do not put winnt.sif in your I386 folder. Instead, put winnt.sif on your floppy. Put in the CD in the drive, and the floppy as well. Now boot up from it - setup will use the winnt.sif from floppy. So now for each new machine you want to install, just modify the winnt.sif on floppy and use this method. Easy?

Do put forward any clarifications that you need. All the best!

That's one way to do it, but I remember when my laptop arrived, all the programs where pre-installed and at the first boot it requested serial and usernamen/company. Is this also possible? Or is it a method only the big resellers (dell, hp,...) can use?

Yes, those OEMs use something called "SysPrep". You can find more info about it in ref.chm (In the windows XP CD, open deploy.cab).

If you're not moving machiners in the volumes that they do, its probably not worth the effort to do such a thing. But if you do wanna do it, it will take you upto 2 days of thinking/doing/testing.