Making a Custom Boot Screen SP2 Compatible

Hi there everyone,

I have developed this tutorial(still under construction) because I found that all the info I had found was on different sites or in different posts in the forum. So by asking questions on how to customize a Customized bootscreen to work on SP2 that I downloaded for SP1, I have been able to put together this tutorial(under construction)

I will be adding more info to this tutorial later on. Things that I will be adding are:Creating a custom bootscreen from scratch, colour depth information, and how to edit the progress bar to work properly with the customized bootscreen(main bmp). Please note that this tutorial is fairly lengthy, but rest assured I do intend to shrink it down the best I can as I improve the tutorial.

I would very much appreciate it if everyone who visits this tutorial, post their comments on this tutorial, and to point out mistakes and things I may have left out. Please post your comments on my tutorial, point out problems you are having, and please point out mistakes that I have made in my tutorial.

Thanks

BloodStalker

TUTORIAL

Step1:Once you install windows xp sp2, copy the ntoskrnl.exe(this may not be the right one if using multi processors from what i understand)to a new directory.

Step2:Then rename it(but do not change the extension).

Step3:Then download the theme you like from themexp.com.

Step4:Once you have the theme, open it with a program callled resource hack(do a search in msfn forums for this program)

Step5:Next check the bitmaps for your version of XP the 1st one is the main one, 8 is the progress bar for XP Pro, and 9 is the progress bar for XP Home.

Step6:If these bmps are black, then get a program called boot editor(once again do a search for this program on the MSFN forums).

Step7:If they are not black, click action(in resource hack)and save bmp(ignore the booteditor step if not black images)

Step8:(Can skip this step if images were not black)Once you have boot editor, load the kernel file from themexp.org, it will then save the images.

Step9:(Do this task even if you didn't do the boot editor part)

Then open the ist image pic1.bmp with paintshop pro(i use 8 so this is the one i'm gonna describe for)

Step10:Next go to image, palette, save palette.

Step11:Name the palette whatever you want.

Step12:Then go to image, palette, load palette.

Step13:Select the name you chose, and click load.

Step14:Then go to image, palette, edit palette(the palette should be loaded from the previous task)

Step15:This will bring up a screen that shows the order of the palette in question.

Step16:From the left start with the very first colour, record the hex value(it says html right above the hex value)

Step17:Next choose the next colour right after the first one, do exactly the same thing as the previous step, then repeat until you have recorded all the palette colours.

Step18:Now that you have recorded the hex values you will need to reverse them..Example if the hex value is FFEECC then you need to reverse it to CCEEFF. Do this for all the hex values that you recorded.

Step19:Once you have done this, you will need to get a hex program, i used ultra edit, but from what I understand you can use any hex editor.

Step20:Once you have your hex editor, do a search for the following : 00 00 00 00 15 1A 20 00 46 46 46 00 D2 3E 2D 00 01 65 53 00 05 35 B2 00 7E 7E 7E 00 00 92 89 00 FC 7F 5E 00 20 6B F7 00 FF A6 8D 00 04 DC 8E 00 1B BC F3 00 BC BC BC 00 FC FC FC FF FF FF You may have to shorten it slightley to : 00 00 00 00 15 1A 20 00 46 46 46 00 D2 3E 2D 00 01 65

Step21:Now once you have done the search in the hex editor, you need to import your palette that your recorded and reversed into the kernel file.

Step22:To do that you start at the first set of zeros(00 00 00)(which is at the very beginning of the hex numbers you searched for) just

Step23:Replace 00 00 00 with the first REVERSED hex value from your palette that you created from your image. Example:00 00 00 replaced with EE FF CC

Step24:Once the first set of numbers is replaced you need to add 2 zeros following it. Example:00 00 00 00(the last zeros are needed after the first set of three)

Step25:Next you replace the next set of three numbers 15 1A 20 with the next set of reversed hex numbers from your pallette. Once again you need to add the 2 zeros after like in the previous step.

Step26:Continue replacing the hex values until you have no more reversed hex values to add. Once again add the 2 zeros.

Step27:Once that is all done save the kernel file(remember do NOT use the original kernel, always use a copy of your kernel).

Step28:Now you need to add your image back in. Open the kernel file(the one you just edited)with resource hack again and select the bitmap you wish to replace.

Step29:Select action, replace bitmap, then selct your custom bitmap and click replace.

Step30:Now save the kernel and that is it FOR NOW. I will edit this post a little later with corrections and how to make sure the progress bar and other bmps that may need to be edited work correctly.

NOTE: This tutorial will change as I develop it further.

EDIT: Screen shots will be added at a later date.

Just a few more hexing tips....

The XP kernel does a fade when loading. There will be a second of color then a fade in, to get rid of that.....

replace everything from 0x34 to 0x74 (it's around there, it's the pallete in the BMP file) with 00 and then replace it in the kernel.

I'm not sure what you mean alanoll? Where exactly is this 0x34? is this in the main bmp,? the kernel? where i don't understand, sorry i don't know hexing that much, i am just putting this tutorial together from what i have learnt from you guys on the forums here, and i am making sure that what i put up is accurate, by confirming with you guys on the forums.

• 4 weeks later...

Have an edit for you:

00 00 00 00 15 1A 20 00 46 46 46 00 D2 3E 2D 00 01 65 53 00 05 35 B2 00 7E 7E 7E 00 00 92 89 00 FC 7F 5E 00 20 6B F7 00 FF A6 8D 00 04 DC 8E 00 1B BC F3 00 BC BC BC 00 FC FC FC FF FF FF

should be changed to:

00 00 00 00 15 1A 20 00 46 46 46 00 D2 3E 2D 00 01 65 53 00 05 35 B2 00 7E 7E 7E 00 00 92 89 00 FC 7F 5E 00 20 6B F7 00 FF A6 8D 00 04 DC 8E 00 1B BC F3 00 BC BC BC 00 FC FC FC 00 FF FF FF

Note the last few bytes... FC FC FC 00 FF FF FF.