DOS network boot + unattended XP + sata

I was using gdisk to wipe the partion create a new DOS with a DOS Netware IP boot cd. we now have some Dell gx 280s that have SATA drives. I can not fdisk, use gdisk (just hangs) WITH OUT going into the BIOS and changing a SATA drive option to "combination" mode which says it make is compatible with older OS's (like DOS). just wonder if someone knows a work around for the DOS SATA, gdisk problem.

I am going to try PXE soon.

M

I do have PqDisk.exe from Power Quest Toolkit that works.

On a a IDE + win2k I can script it to format and then start the win2k install, with no reboot.

On a SATA drive it seems i have to reboot, which is better than making another BIOS setting change.

Try this;

On making the relevant BIOS change use gdisk as you have been to create and format the partition as you want. You may do Sys C: as well to install the DOS system files. Once done then dump the image of the formatted hard drive on to a server share as a ghost image file.

For any other PC where you have NOT made the BIOS change, load the saved image to its hard drive using Ghost with -FNI switch. Alternatively on executing Ghost, you can select -FNI form Options -> Hard Drive.

If the partition image is successfully transferred on to the new pc without making any BIOS change then I am sure that Gdisk.exe from version 8.0 of Ghost should work.

Good Luck!