ati drivers

Nick.Morris

ok i have an ati driver for a laptop. i have found the drivers for it and going to put it in my xpcd but got couple of questions:

1 there are alot of files with dl_ and other compressed files. will windows be ok with that or shall i expand them?

2 currently it is setup from how i extracted it with the inf's and ini's in a folder and then a folder under that (called B_14006) with all the compressed files. do i keep it in the same file structure right? or should all compressed files and ini's/inf's be in the same folder?

my guess is no need to uncompress the files and keep in same file structure but just wanted to confirm that

cheers

nick

ok i have an ati driver for a laptop. i have found the drivers for it and going to put it in my xpcd but got couple of questions:

1 there are alot of files with dl_ and other compressed files. will windows be ok with that or shall i expand them?

2 currently it is setup from how i extracted it with the inf's and ini's in a folder and then a folder under that (called B_14006) with all the compressed files. do i keep it in the same file structure right? or should all compressed files and ini's/inf's be in the same folder?

my guess is no need to uncompress the files and keep in same file structure but just wanted to confirm that

cheers

nick

Sorry for late reply, I guess I overlooked this topic...

1. Then I don't think you're using ATI's newest drivers, but rather Windows XP's built-in drivers. As far as I know there aren't compressed files in ATI's drivers...

2. What the hell are you talking about??? :o:wacko:

Please take a look at this post http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=171992

1. Then I don't think you're using ATI's newest drivers, but rather Windows XP's built-in drivers. As far as I know there aren't compressed files in ATI's drivers...
I am using the drivers off the dell site. Probably not the best idea but its what my company wants to do :unsure:
2. What the hell are you talking about???

Ok i am probably not the best at explaining things so here i go again...I will try and attach a file and if it doesnt work it pretty much screws up what i am trying to say.

The attached file is the current structure of how the driver was extracted. You should see all the dl_ and other compressed files i was on about in B_14006 folder. The inf/ini/cat files are in the folder up (2KXP_INF). So my question was does it matter they are compressed type files and do i keep the same folder structure when i put it in the drivers folder on my xpcd?

If you need a bit more detailed explanation then just say so and i will try my best :D

Cheers

Nick

post-88-1093594691_thumb.jpg

2. Oh my apologies...

I didn't know of that folder (at least, didn't remember)

With the ATI Catalyst 4.8 WHQL drivers it's called B_17154

1. I didn't realize you were talking about that folder. That shouldn't be a problem, you don't have to expand them.

Just point in your OemPnPDriversPath to Drivers\ATI_or_whatever_you_call_it\2KXP_INF and the drivers will get installed.

Note: ONLY the DRIVERS will get installed, look/search in the Device Drivers forum for more info. (In short: you have to use setup.exe -s -f1 for CPanel and Drivers, which is a silent installation of installshield setup)

EDIT: I don't know if you've already read it, but here's the guide: http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/drivers.htm

Ah thats good. just what i was hoping to hear. We dont ever really use the control panel or the other features needed so it installing just the driver is perfect.

While i'm here i have another question which i dont thinks been answered in another thread yet but will try again (incase its been forgotten as its in a big thread). Is the chipset the only driver that you need to copy the inf files in the $$\inf folder on your xpcd? Just as i saw on a thread you had to and was wondering if this is standard stuff to do or just a chipset thing.

Cheers

Nick

Ah thats good. just what i was hoping to hear. We dont ever really use the control panel or the other features needed so it installing just the driver is perfect.

While i'm here i have another question which i dont thinks been answered in another thread yet but will try again (incase its been forgotten as its in a big thread). Is the chipset the only driver that you need to copy the inf files in the $$\inf folder on your xpcd? Just as i saw on a thread you had to and was wondering if this is standard stuff to do or just a chipset thing.

Cheers

Nick

You're talking about the thread "Installing Intel INF updates", aren't you?

Well, that's an exception. For any other chipset drivers, just add their folders to $OEM$\$1\Drivers as described in the guide. ( http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/drivers.htm )

Ok that's cool and yes that was the thread in question. I think pretty much all my machines we have here are intel chipsets, so that means they will have to go in the inf folder. Windows has no problems with multiple intel chipset inf files in there does it? This is as the cd will be used for 5 or 6 different types of machine.

Ok that's cool and yes that was the thread in question. I think pretty much all my machines we have here are intel chipsets, so that means they will have to go in the inf folder. Windows has no problems with multiple intel chipset inf files in there does it? This is as the cd will be used for 5 or 6 different types of machine.

No, it only installs the needed drivers.

(Else DriverPacks would be out of the question :P Even Windows' Drivers.cab would be impossible then!)

LOL very true but i know windows can be a pain in the butt sometimes. All just precautionary questions really.

Another quick question with the ati driver. The inf file doesnt need any of the files in the directories above the 2KXP_INF does it? Just whole folder = 20mb and just the 2KXP_INF = 6mb. I'm guessing safe to delete the rest (as only want the driver) but just asking to be on the safe side :)

Cheers for all your help and quick responses! Now to finish off downloading all these drivers :wacko:

Nick

LOL very true but i know windows can be a pain in the butt sometimes. All just precautionary questions really.

Another quick question with the ati driver. The inf file doesnt need any of the files in the directories above the 2KXP_INF does it? Just whole folder = 20mb and just the 2KXP_INF = 6mb. I'm guessing safe to delete the rest (as only want the driver) but just asking to be on the safe side :)

Cheers for all your help and quick responses! Now to finish off downloading all these drivers  :wacko:

Nick

I guess you can safely delete the above folders, yes.