Re-Direct Start Menu Per Computer

m8rk

Does anyone know how I can do this?

I want to re-direct start menu's per computer. All my users can potentially

use all [220] computers [High School], and I want to set a few standard start

menus for different software images - about 4 - so that the users don't

have redundant Icons on thier Start Menus'.

I tried creating an OU for computers, and setting a Policy on that OU to

redirect the Start Menu to a particular folder and disabling re-direction on

the student's OU.

Is there any way that I can achieve this?

I can't see that there's any way to script re-direction.

Setup: Win2000 AD Domain, mixed XP & 2000 Clients.

Thanks for your help.

Yeah - in the Group Policy for all the users I re-direct the start menu to a folfder on the server. Trouble is, all my users can use any of 220 machines on my site.

What I did was remove this re-direction, created an OU each for the different sets of PC image, and set a Group Policy on those with a redirect to a Start Menu for each, then set "apply to user" in the Policy Permissions.

That didn't work!

How do I do this?? Aaargh!

Can you not set each user to have the start menu settings they need as part of their profile? because icons will only work if the program is installed on that PC, or run a login script to remove dead icons.

Sorry if wrong, trying to remember from moons ago.

oioldman thanks

My problem is:

Library - 1 PC with 6 singly licenced apps visible to other 220 machines - all users likely to use

Tech Block - 20 PC's with unique image - again, all my users are likely to use that at some point

Which logon script?? I'm not currently using the local start menu at all. I've no idea how to script seperate start menu's per machine - but that may be the answer.

Cheers

Do i take it then that all your apps are run from the server and not locally, hence a 6 licence app, being visible to all PC's?

The login script, you would need to generate to run, and add this to the users profile to be run. I would do it along the lines of, now i can't write batch files, but seen them on this forum and so could be done,

if not exist <pathname>\<filename>

del %usersprofile\start menu\<filname>.lnk

and repeat for desktop.

Or, if all PC's in the library are exactly the same, build them up and use sysprep to drop image onto your server, will make rebuilding easier in future and will ensure that the apps for 6 licence are only on these PC's

We originally only had a Terminal Server setup, but now have 'normal' PC's as well. so half and half ;)

The start menu is re-directed from the server to two groups of users: staff and kids. So I have 2 shared start menus on the server that all users pick up.

Re-direction doesn't seem to be flixible enough to assign a start menu based on the PC a user logs on to.

Yeah - that scrip maybe the way to go. Can you point me to a good place to sort one out [crap at it myself]. I use kixcript here for assigning printers by room name - maybe I could adapt/ add to that.