Moving User Accounts Between AD Domains

Administrative Tools>>

Active Directory Domains and Trusts>>

Select your production Domain. Right click on it and select Properties.

Select the Trusts tab.

Create a New Trust between your production domain and your new domain.

• 1 month later...

Try using the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit or Administrator's Pak utility called DSMOVE.EXE.

That should let you move the users from Test to Production as opposed to trusting those users in the Test domain in the Production domain. I don't believe their accounts will copy over, they will simply be able to logon as Test\User to the Production domain. That will not have an account Production\User.

tguy

Sort of touching on what tguy said, you could use the Microsoft Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) to accomplish this.

I did ;)

I moved about 300 users from my old NT 4 domain to my new 2003 Server.

Due to budget restrictions, I had to "juggle" hard disks in the process (needed the HD containing the Users work folders and we couldnt afford another new seperate drive for this) and used a few other processes - reg exports of the share's list to reimport on the new server being one and resetting security on some places - but all in all, it was a huge success.

Not bad for a guy who hasnt had any training eh? hehe ;)

Any queries about it if thats what you're looking to do, send me a PM or reply to this post and I'll try and help if I can :)

Regards,

N.

Right, with admt, it's included in your windows 2003 installation CD. You should take into account that with admt you must establish a trust between your domains, and have enough administrative rights in both domains to perform the migration, you can also migrate passwords, and any group that the users being migrated belong to to the new domain.

bye