installing Windows via USB CDRW

BishopY2J

I have a eBUDDIE laptop and the cd rom does not seem to be working. when i put the xp disc in and it does the PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD. so i hit the ANY key (jk) and then i get a error:

MEMORY OVERFLOW

so then i got a usb Iomega cdrom and tried find a usb boot disk, then found out that you have to create one urself. then i found in the bios that it supports booting from a usb cdrom but when i tried that it frooze or i got another error.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated. Thanks!!! :blink:

If the BIOS showed the "press any key to boot from cd" message, then the cd-rom drive must still be working (because it read the CD and got data from it). The Memory Overflow message can occur when your system runs out of resources (I think, that's been past experience, I've never had this happen to me with the XP cd). How old is the laptop and how much memory does it have? Windows XP needs at least 64 megabytes (more is always better). Have you tried using the Windows XP boot disks (you can download the images from Microsoft to make you're own floppies)?

i think it has 64 mb. install xp from boot disk? think using another os would be better like w2k pro? but through boot disk.

as for the cdrom it was the usb cd rom i got the machine to boot from, then i got that memory overflow error. when i tried w/ the internal cd rom i got a message that it couldnt find the Boot Sector from the disk. not reallly sure how old the machine is but all i know is that it was made by eBuddie. never heard of them. would fdisk work.

i just checked the memory stick inside the laptop and it was 512... the person who was trying to fix this before me used 98 bootdisks and boot up through the floppy, but nothing else. so when i got the machine, i see the Windows 98 screen flash (from the boot disk) when i booted off the 98 cd i was in dos mode. dont know how to install OS from dos.

no no no, Windows XP has a set of boot disks that you can download and put onto a floppy.

Windows XP Professional Boot Disks

Windows XP Home Edition Boot Disks

Windows XP Professional sp1 Boot Disks

Windows XP Home Edition sp1 Boot Disks

Windows XP Professional sp1a Boot Disks

Windows XP Home Edition sp1a Boot Disks

Windows XP Professional sp2 Boot Disks

Windows XP Home Edition sp2 Boot Disks

Choose your version of Windows, and use the floppies you make to run the setup for Windows XP (it will start setup from the floppies and then it will ask for the Windows XP cd later on...)

• 1 year later...
Guest alex298

Hello,

My computer RAM: 512 MB

CPU: Intel P4 1.6 MHz

I have the same problem with my iBuddie 4 NoteBook. I don't don't know why the CD-ROM is always in problem. I replaced at least 8 new CD-ROMs in the past three years. Now the CD-ROM cannot be found on the market. And there is no Floppy Disk for my NoteBook. The only way I can do is using USB CD-ROM.

I need to format and re-install os due to some problem. I put the Windows 2000 disc in and hit ANY key when it prompt the message "PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD" and then I got the same error:

MEMORY OVERFLOW

Please advise what can I do. I cannot follow the same steps as previous suggestions since there is no Floppy Drive in my NoteBook.

Thanks and best regards

Alex