Unattended install won't work

Hi

New here but need help desperately. I cannot get either of my copies of XPpro to work unattended. Whether I'm trying to boot using the floppy with the file or using it on the image. It simply will not work. I've edited and re-edited andhave 6 days of my spare time into this, and I keep hitting a wall. I've read every thing from here, OC.com, XP inside out, and several other articles, and keep coming up blank. I've tried it with Unattend.bat, unattend.txt Am I not usng the right encoding when saving it, or do I have xpprosp1 and xppro that will not except it?

You should write more in-depth about what you problem is, but look at UNATTENDED.MSFN.ORG. If you READ right, you should be able to UNATTEND correctly. The problem most users can't unattendently install is because they miss out stuffs and don't read carefully about the manual suppose. I had the same experience back then. Relax and start over the sequence.

It's really hard to tell without more information. Have you seen this guide?

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/gettingstarted.htm

Are you just trying to create an unattended CD? If so, did you rename unattend.txt to Winnt.sif and place that in your i386 directory?

A good start would be to post your winnt.sif and a more elaborate description of your problem.

Yes, I do have winnt.sif in I386, And I have read the article very carefully. Thats what I keep thinking, that I must be missing something, and probably something small. I have been successful in adding the user accounts and install packages, so obviously its reading parts of winnt.sif because it does go to the$OEM$ folder. But it refuses to start unattended, and does not skip eula or anything else.

here is a basic copy of my winnt.sif:

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=1

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=No

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword="123"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=35

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=****-****-****-*****-*****

FullName="joe"

OrgName="Joes mule farm"

ComputerName=nforce

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=1

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=555

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=MSHOME

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

I have tried this from a floppy using my OEM disc, It does start the floppy drive when starting windows after copying files. then goes right back to guiattended.

Is there something In my I386 folder thats bypassing this? Or is this because both my discs are OEM's?

One more thing: Am I supposed to add the Unattend.bat file? This will be for clean install. The article at OC.com says to add. The Book and MSFN.org doesn't Also, I have my XPCD folder on my slave drive (NTFS format) But I have deploy folders on both C: and F: (E: is my Ghost partition) And I have tried this both on a small hardrive, and now on Virtual Machine using a image off the root of C:

That's strange that your install packages work since you have OemPreinstall=No. normally that prevents your OEM files from being copied over.

OemPreinstall

Value: Yes | No

Determines whether Setup is installing its files from distribution folders. When the value is Yes, Setup copies the subfolders and files contained in the \platform\$oem$ folder. When set to No, Setup does not copy these files.

How exactly are you installing your 3rd party apps? What method are you using.

I suppose your problem could be related to the fact that you are using OEM disks since other people have had problems with them. I can't be specific since the promlems may vary from oem to oem.

Make sure that Winnt.sif isn't actually named winnt.sif.txt. It's a common problem. Let the mouse hover over the file. If the tooltip identifies it as a SIF file, then it is okay. If it Id's it as a text file, then it needs to be renamed to Winnt.sif.

Make sure that Winnt.sif isn't actually named winnt.sif.txt. It's a common problem. Let the mouse hover over the file. If the tooltip identifies it as a SIF file, then it is okay. If it Id's it as a text file, then it needs to be renamed to Winnt.sif.

Dang, Do I feel stupid right now! I forgot to uncheck the box in folder options to show all known file and extension types.

I Owe you a case of your favorite beverage. (As long as it's domestic beer, soda, or cheap wine) THANKS!!!! :thumbup