Help a N00b.

I have a diff post (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=88&t=25120), but I think I am misunderstanding some basics here.

1) When I am trying to do a Silent Installation of Windows Device Drivers, and I make my directory (C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers), and my subdirectories (000_chipset, 001_network, 002_graphics, 003_tv_out, etc.), What Do I Put In The Subdirectories?

Am I putting in ALL the files (and folders) from my extracted driver pack? (including setup.exe, .dll, .sys, .cab, etc.?) or JUST the .inf? or some other combination?

ex: The inf file is "smwdmALI.inf", path: C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Sound\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP\smwdmALI.inf

Do I have to include everything in "\Sound", AND "\SMAXWDM", AND "\W2K_XP" ???

2) If I have to include ALL the files, then in my winnt.sif, where do I point it to? Each directory that has an .inf file?

ex: The .inf file is: C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Sound\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP\smwdmALI.inf

So do I write, in winnt.sif:

a) C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Sound\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP

B) C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Sound\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP\smwdmALI.inf

c) C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\Sound

You can probably tell I'm confused...

3) If I make this CD including these drivers, will it ONLY install if the system has the correct hardware? (i.e. - will it mess up another computer if I use the CD for it? or will it simply ignore these drivers?)

1) u put the device drivers drivers :P

what the inf does is tell windows where 2 put the drivers/look 4 them so u need the files 2 :P

2)your OEMPnPDriversPath = Drivers\003_Sound thats it :)

3) thats the point of the OemPnPDriversPath in your winnt.sif file , windows will search that directory for the best driver for your hardware :)

1) u put the device drivers drivers :P

what the inf does is tell windows where 2 put the drivers/look 4 them so u need the files 2 :P

2)your OEMPnPDriversPath = Drivers\003_Sound        thats it :)

3) thats the point of the OemPnPDriversPath in your winnt.sif file , windows will search that directory for the best driver for your hardware :)

1) how do i know which are the "device drivers drivers"? do you mean everything that is unpacked from the exe/zip? (because when I unpack, i then get a folder full of stuff, INCLUDING A SETUP.EXE!! do i copy all of that?)

if not, how do i know which are the files to copy?

2) I thought i have to point to the actual directory where the inf is...in this case, wouldnt that be:

Drivers\003_Sound\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP ???

3) OK, i understand that one. :)

1) include everything, it really depends on the INF file, some infs use a setup.exe 2 install everything, if u want, look @ the inf file & see what files its using :)

1) include everything, it really depends on the INF file, some infs use a setup.exe 2 install everything, if u want, look @ the inf file & see what files its using :)

so if i'm including everything, then back to Q#2:

what path do i put in winnt.sif?

in this example, the inf file ("smwdmALI.inf") is buried all the way in:

C:\XPCD\$OEM$\$1\Drivers\003_Sound\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP\

so I write "Drivers\003_Sound\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP\" ??

i really dont get it. doesnt the main page say to point "to the folder where the .inf files are stored"?

in this case, the inf is NOT in "Drivers\003_Sound\".

Rather, it is in "Drivers\003_Sound\SMAXWDM\W2K_XP\"

I thought windows wont go looking down into subfolders?

Sometimes you will find several sub-folders containing the INF files in which case you need to make seperate direct paths to them in OemPnPDriversPath. This is because Windows XP Setup will not scan any sub-folders for any INF files.

ps - the other post is for something totally different.