XP PRO setup can not copy files...

frog

Hello all,

SYSTEM SET UP : I am installing xp pro (legal copy) on a system I am building. The mother board is Gigabyte GA-8KNXP cpu is 3.0GHz/1mb/800fsb (2) 1gig sticks dual channel ram 250gb SATA hd DVD/rw CD/RW 256mb 8x Nvidia

PROBLEM : During Setup, I press F6 and enter floppy with SATA drivers. Drivers load... setup begins...later setup halst saying "setup cannot copy file:***.***...I presws enter to retry...no luck. I put in a second (legal) copy of xp pro to see if it can copy from it... NO LUCK. after pressing retry for 30 min. I press esc to bypass thr file. This happens to 7-9 more files. Once copying is complete, system reboots to complete the setup process. During this phase, it halts telling me it can not load the installer for CDROM I press OK. continues for a while and halts again saying cannot load BATTERY(this is not a laptop !) press OK to cont. then halts saying cannot install the hardware...(what hardware) press OK to cont. "WHAT" Blue scree of death... in XP ??? lol :wacko: "LIST CORRUPT"

NOTES : This is not a one time incident. I have tried this no less than 10 times :o I have 3 of these 250gb SATA and tried each one seperatly.... I feel it has something to do with setting up on a SATA vs IDE

Can any one help

FROG

You are not getting the drivers from the floppy disk you need. Bad disk or bad drive...

setup begins...later setup halst saying "setup cannot copy file:***.***...

Means bad media or bad delivery of data...

If you are having trouble with the CD disks your drive may be dirty or dying... swap it out as well. Especially, if two different disks are having the same problem...

The files from the floppy are successfully copied, it's the ones from the XP installation disk that won't copy to the SATA HD during copy process... some of them are mf.sys, fsvga.dll, etc,. all of these are on the XP CD not the floppy. I have also changed out the CD drive... NO luck. I contacted Gigabyte Tech and they are going to send me the latest drivers with detailed "HOW TO" instructions for the SATA

Thanks for your input and I'll post if & when I have success.

Any more suggestions????

FROG

You can try to clean your disks as well as your heads, ONLY USE COMPRESSED AIR ON THE HEADS!, also, try slipstreaming your SATA drivers to the CD and do it that way see if that works, it should keep you from having to push F6.

One more thing to assure yourself of, do you have the raid controller for the sata drives on in the bios? Also, is it set up, (usually a screen saying to set it up press CTRL+F or something to that effect before you get to CD Loading...) If not it's not going to copy anything either.

:thumbup

UPDATE: I changed out the EXPENSIVE RAM with Kingston value ram....

INSTALLED WITH OUT ONE GLITCH :whistle:

Swapped out 2nd HD and did new install to verify... PERFECT !!! NOT ONE ERROR :whistle:

Swapped out 3rd HD and installed again to verify... PERFECT !!! NOT ONE ERROR :whistle:

Thanks for the input peeps...