MS Visual Studio 2003 Unattended?

codejunkie

Does anyone know if it is possable to create an unattended installer for VS.NET 2003?

I have it on CDs at the mo so its not as easy as it sounds I would have to make a DVD (Virual) :wacko:

Can i just copy all the files into one folder and install from there or will it still prompt me for the CDs?

Hi,

you can copy all files to a directory. However the name of the directory may not exceed five characters, as otherwise the paths will become to long for the setup to succeed.

Unattended install is a bit complex. You need to manually install the prerequisites, then VS.NET and MSDN. I did the setup the following way:

Prerequisites:

start /wait msiexec.exe /qn /i %systemdrive%\vs71\wcu\bootstrap.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress

start /wait msiexec.exe /qn /i %systemdrive%\vs71\wcu\weccom.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress

start /wait %systemdrive%\vs71\wcu\mdac27sp1\mdac_typ.exe /q:a /c:"dasetup.exe /Q /N"

start /wait %systemdrive%\vs71\wcu\jsharpredistcore\vjredist.exe /q:a /c:"inst.exe /q /l"

VS.NET 2003:

start /wait %systemdrive%\vs71\setup\setup.exe /UnattendFile "%systemdrive%\vs71\setup\vs7.ini" /CreatedTemp /NoExclude /InstalledFrom "%systemdrive%\vs71\setup"

MSDN:

start /wait msiexec.exe /qn /i %systemdrive%\vs71\msdn\msdn.msi SETUP_EXE=yes ADDLOCAL=ALL

This installs MSDN completely and VS.NET according to my administrator setup preparation. Consult the setup document in HTML files on the CD.

Regards,

l33t

Hi,

you can copy all files to a directory. However the name of the directory may not exceed five characters, as otherwise the paths will become to long for the setup to succeed.

Unattended install is a bit complex. You need to manually install the prerequisites, then VS.NET and MSDN. I did the setup the following way:

Prerequisites:

start /wait msiexec.exe /qn /i %systemdrive%\vs71\wcu\bootstrap.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress

start /wait msiexec.exe /qn /i %systemdrive%\vs71\wcu\weccom.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress

start /wait %systemdrive%\vs71\wcu\mdac27sp1\mdac_typ.exe /q:a /c:"dasetup.exe /Q /N"

start /wait %systemdrive%\vs71\wcu\jsharpredistcore\vjredist.exe /q:a /c:"inst.exe /q /l"

VS.NET 2003:

start /wait %systemdrive%\vs71\setup\setup.exe /UnattendFile "%systemdrive%\vs71\setup\vs7.ini" /CreatedTemp /NoExclude /InstalledFrom "%systemdrive%\vs71\setup"

MSDN:

start /wait msiexec.exe /qn /i %systemdrive%\vs71\msdn\msdn.msi SETUP_EXE=yes ADDLOCAL=ALL

This installs MSDN completely and VS.NET according to my administrator setup preparation. Consult the setup document in HTML files on the CD.

Regards,

l33t

l33t is this the only way and if it's done this way can it be intergreated into the xp unattended dvd

• 2 months later...
Guest bit_pusher
Does anyone know if it is possable to create an unattended installer for VS.NET 2003?

I am working on an unattended administrative install fix that will let you install from CD instead of copying 3 gig of files to HD. Will allow shrink of vs.net source to include only what you need for your unattended.

I will post it i main as soon as i have tested everything. Is pretty time consuming.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I usually install it straight from an ISO myself, as I've found it to fail on me a few times when I try the DVD.

BTW, the link to your Shrinker v1.10 is down, is there an alternative link for it?

OK, thats one why to fill a DVD!

add the MSDN 2005 April to the Unattended DVD, weighs in at 1.54GB compared to 303MB that Visual Studio 2003 takes

and there BOTH in SFX created with 7Zip!

Hum I can see another shrinking tool on its way!

• 2 weeks later...

are there any other ways..this way is TOO silent (ie, you dont see ANY indication of whats going on, i want atleast equal to a /qb- on a msi.) i read about editing the transforms, but that never worked for me, and capturing to a new msi didnt work either.

• 2 months later...
I am working on an unattended administrative install fix that will let you install from CD instead of copying 3 gig of files to HD. Will allow shrink of vs.net source to include only what you need for your unattended.

I will post it i main as soon as i have tested everything. Is pretty time consuming.

Anyone seen anything like this for VS.Net unattended install from CD\DVD?