Reg tweaks not working in unattended install

I have alot of Reg Tweaks I want to run during my unattended install of XP Pro. Iam using guirunonce in the winnt.sif file. I see the reg tweaks run and they say there is no problem importing them but even after I reboot they do not take effect. I have to run the .bat file manually to import the reg tweaks. Can anyone help me get my reg tweaks to import the first time? Here is a sample of my .bat file.

start /wait regedit /s AlwaysUnloaddlls.reg

start /wait regedit /s CMDHere.reg

start /wait regedit /s DesktopCleanUpDisable.reg

start /wait regedit /s DisableDefaultShare.reg

start /wait regedit /s DisableSecurity.reg

start /wait regedit /s EnableBigLBA.reg

start /wait regedit /s ErrorReportDisable.reg

start /wait regedit /s FullPathAddress.reg

start /wait regedit /s IEMaxDL10.reg

start /wait regedit /s MyCompOnTop.reg

start /wait regedit /s MyCompServ.reg

start /wait regedit /s MyCompSharedFilesDisable.reg

start /wait regedit /s NetworkSpeedUp.reg

start /wait regedit /s NoRebootBSOD.reg

start /wait regedit /s NoRecentDocs.reg

start /wait regedit /s NoShortcutTo.reg

start /wait regedit /s Services.reg

start /wait regedit /s SimpleFileShareDisable.reg

start /wait regedit /s SpeedUpShutdown.reg

start /wait regedit /s SysMech4.reg

start /wait regedit /s SystemRestoreDisabled.reg

start /wait regedit /s WindowsUpdateReg.reg

I dunno why they do not work the first time but after I run teh .bat fiel after teh intiall first boot they take effect just fine.

Are they HKEY CURRENT USER tweaks? Keep in mind that importing them while logged in as administrator, then rebooting and logging in with your own account makes the new tweaks redundant.

• 5 years later...
Are they HKEY CURRENT USER tweaks? Keep in mind that importing them while logged in as administrator, then rebooting and logging in with your own account makes the new tweaks redundant.

can someone help me understand what aaron meant by a regedit being "redundant?"

I am trying to figure out how to install a new 2k system. On first boot after gui setup, I think I am "administrator" (LOL!). While logged in for the first time after setup, I hope to be able to run a batch that will add some hotfixes and tweaks that will become system wide (like 98se), e.g. not just a hotfix or tweak that applies to one account or another. How do I do that?

In my batch, is there a way to run a regedit /s to set EnableBigLba to 1, so will that large hdds will be automatically available to all future accounts, including those who are not administrators? Also, if EnableBigLba is set for AdministratorNo1, will that large hard drives be available to AdministratorNo2, without running the batch again for him as well?

What precautions should a noob take to batch install a hotfixe or a reg tweak so that they will become root system wide ... so that they don't have to be re-installed for each future account?

Edited by Molecule

I believe what Aaron means is that your first logon should be with the Administrator account which is built-in in your OS, rather than an account you are creating with administrative privileges. You see, the Administrator account is already created at first logon, while your account is created at the moment of your first logon, hence entries are also created in HKCU at first logon. I also believe that he means that "redundant" means that if import them once with the Administrator account, you are doing nothing, since the will only apply to the Administrator account, not your account or all users, and you'll have to import them all over again (but only if they are for CURRENT USER).

I believe what Aaron means is that your first logon should be with the Administrator account which is built-in in your OS, rather than an account you are creating with administrative privileges. You see, the Administrator account is already created at first logon, while your account is created at the moment of your first logon, hence entries are also created in HKCU at first logon. ...

This is my problem ... I'm not uncomfortable with hairy batch files, from my old cpm and dos days but ... guud gawd I cannot figure out this "new" (LOL) account stuff. This account stuff is like a cancer metastasizes all over the place, and in end all it does it lock out the owner while opening doors for Pentagon perverts and their echelon "masters." I know that my account is called "Administrator." It is the first account after gui setup (where (I'm guessing ... since I dont' really understand accounts and groups) Number of Administrative Logons would be set to 1 in unattend.txt, if I was using that which I am not).

But I also knew I was not THE (master) Administrator account.

Apparently the RMA account (the Real Master Administrator account) exists only at T-12 (cmdlines.txt) ... it's the only time that something can be installed systemwide. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong ... because what this means is that a slipstreamed system (a vague word to me, because it means creating a new install CD every patch Tuesday, and then fresh-installing the system from it ... every patch Tuesday) is a different system from a system created over time by a user who keyboards in, or batch runs in, hotfixes each patch Tuesday.