SP2 Final not quite final?

bkraptor

I've just downloaded SP2 from the MS page and installed it. Look at the image below to see what IE6 from SP2 is reporting. Can anyone else verify this for me, please?

PS: I thought SP2 from the MS page was not the RTM version :)

post-34-1092129280_thumb.jpg

Then why are there 2 different versions, one signed as RTM (278 920 704 bytes, MD5 94276421fa963122a4e434d3b14fdc01) and one signed as KB... from the MS download servers (278 927 592 bytes, MD5 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7)? There has to be something different about those 2, so I thought the later one (KB...) was for "public use" and distribution.

There actually is NOTHING to read. It's all about "WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe", which I've also mentioned in a previous post. So please do not be rude. Maybe you did not understand what my question is:

I've seen 2 "final" versions of SP2: the RTM version (278 920 704 bytes, MD5 94276421fa963122a4e434d3b14fdc01) and the "WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe" version (278 927 592 bytes, MD5 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7). I thought the 1st one was for manufacturers, while the 2nd was intended for general public use (aka downloadeable). So I went on and installed the 2nd version (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe), but when I looked in the "About IE" page I noticed what is in the picture in the first post - IE claims to have SP2 RTM installed. So this is contradictory to my first assumption: the 2 packages might be the same - both RTM. So here comes my question: they differ in size and MD5Sum - so what is actually different about them?

PS: please please please try to avoid being rude! I may be new here but I'm not the average Joe.

Public or Network Install Package... what's the difference? Is there a paticular reason for your question? Different versions will be released over time. Right now it is the Network Install Package and later today it will be be a small download for those with SP2 RC2 already installed via Window Update (V5).

If you really must know what the difference is ... call MS and ask...

I am not rude, but i can't understand that you can not understand what you read on that page.

Its say clearly that the package "WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe" version (278 927 592 bytes, MD5 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7) is the FINAL.

Why do you try to compare a different version one that has not the same name but probably downloaded somewhere els then the MS site. So where did you get that other package? Not from MS thats for shure....

Again al your questions are answered on that page.

btw, welcome...

If it's the "final" one then why does IE claim it's the RTM one? (look at the image in the first post). Shouldn't there be a "final" string attached to it? or possibly no string at all?

I am talking about the RTM version (xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe) and the MS downloadeable one (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe). That page you gave me (which, btw, I had already read when I first started this topic) says nothing about the RTM version (xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe), so no, all my questions are NOT answered on that page.

If it's the "final" one then why does IE claim it's the RTM? (look at the image in the first post). Shouldn't there be a "final" string attached to it? or possibly no string at all?

I am talking about the RTM version (xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe) and the MS downloadeable one (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe). That page you gave me (which, btw, I had already read when I first started this topic) says nothing about the RTM verion (xpsp2_RTM_ENU.exe), so no, all my questions are NOT answered on that page.

ok, thats something where only MS can give an answer to, why?

i have that string, you got it and i am sure everybody got's it with the WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe version

ave

It seems I won't get any answers here. Well, at least I tried.

Can any mod close this topic now? Thanks!

<edit>

PS: if everybody has it doesn't mean it's actually supposed to be there. Open up your mind. It won't hurt!

Salutare bkraptor.

Lumea nu vrea sa fie nepoliticoasa cum ai spus tu.

Au incercat sa iti explice ca varianta oficiala este fis WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe care are datele de identificare:

Filename: WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe

Filesize: 266 MB (278,927,592 bytes)

Build: 2180 (RTM) from WindowsBeta

md5sum: 59a98f181fe383907e520a391d75b5a7

Name of Signer : Microsoft Corporation

Digital Signature: Wednesday, 04 August, 2004 11:06:58 (ora depinde de locatie-pt Romania fis are ora 1:06:58)

CRC: 0x046F12B1

Celalalt fis nu stiu de unde l-ai luat insa s-ar putea sa fie unul din multele falsuri care circula pe net.

Cat despre stringul acela RTM asa a vrut M$ sa apara in ferestrele de About. Acelasi string apare indiferent dc ai vers RTM sau vers luata direct de pe siteul M$

Sper ca acum s-a lamurit situatie.

Sper sa ramai pe forumul asta pt ca are o multime de lucruri interesante si oameni gata sa te ajute in orice probl.

:)