Problem w/ IE6 install.

LisaB

I was having some random problems with my IE6,so I downloaded the compressed program from Microsoft to try and reinstall.

Somehow my computer rebooted 1/2 way through the reinstall.It didnt finish the reinstall.

Now my problem is when i try to reinstall by clicking on the iesetup.exe file I get an error screen that says:

A previous installation has pending work.Reboot to complete the installation before running Internet Explorer Setup. Setup will now close.

So how do I delete the partial install files.I dont know where XP Home Edition keeps these files/

Thanks lisa

That didnt work.

Here is another problem that started me on the road to a new install.

When I open my IE6 and hit the history tab and then click on a previous viewed web site my IE6 locks up and or just starts acting funny.

So basically its a problem with my history use ,most the time I can still use the browser if I dont use the history feature.

But I would still love to be able to learn where XP stores all the installation files.

I did the regedit and it didnt work?

I also did a full sfc /scannow proceedure.

Thanks for your help.

I had problems with IE on a computer I was configuring once. Once IE gets like that, all you can do is switch to another browser, or reinstall the system, if you'd like to continue to use IE. As far as I know, there is no other remedy. You know, Microsoft belives their systems will never fail, so they don't include a repair option.

It sounds like you have some malware running in the background that is locking things up. Try running Spybot, Ad-Aware, and a virus scan to make sure your system is clean. Also, look at your processes, and see if there are some that you can shutdown that are not needed (don't do this if you are not sure). Reboot and try to install. If that didn't work, I would manually delete IE6 out of the filesystem and registry and then reinstall. If you know how to do this, go for it. Otherwise, you would probably have to redo the system or go to a different browser like DarkPhoenix said.

Good Luck!