KiXtart-scripts instead of Batch-files

Been using kixforms myself aswell. Very nice indeed. Thanks for paying attention to my problem and forwarding the info. I really like the fact that I -think- I haven't found a single member not being serious or off-topic in the MSFN forums... Really hope I'll be able to use KiXtart for Windows XP unattended setup!

BTW. Just an observation: It seems that natively editing the registry from KiXtart is faster then importing *.reg's from either KiXtart or CMD. Just an impression, so don't go benchmarking and flaming me!

CMD

+ Native to Windows

+ A lot is possible using command-line tools

- Minor set of internal tools

KiXtart

+ A lot of internal tools, which makes it quicker

+ Simple way of communicating with OS: I need only a few lines of code to write a function which shows a native 'Folder select' or 'File select' dialog

+ Really like the syntax :)

- Executable needed to run scripts

@prathapml:

Actually, there is a GUI designer for Kixforms. This way you could easily generate a GUI for you script. And the fun thing, for me, is you don't need to use a GUI, but the possibility is there. And doing everything from a GUI would be a mayor pain in the a**. So, again: for me, this is a great compromise!

Also, KiXtart was developed by a Microsoft employee, and distributed with several earlier resource kits. So it may not be as native as CMD, but it ties in with the system just as well IMHO

just for an example of some of my projects using kix (and kixforms)

xpcdgen.gif

iexpresswrapper.gif

inquisitor2.jpg

spybot1.jpg

I have a bad history of starting projects and not geting around to finishing them... you ought to see my front yard :)

kixforms is necessary for the GUI, but all the mechanics of these apps is done only with Kixtart... let's see DOS do that :rolleyes:

Well ... In the end, it has little to do with the tool: the key remains in the logic used, and a correct solution to a given problem. I'm sure I write better Command Scripts than many Kixtart Scripts, just as I am sure Radimus writes better Kixtart Scripts than than many Command Scripts out there.

Probably couldn't tell from my reply's, but I didn't intent to start a discussion about whether to use KiXtart or CMD :).

Anyway, thanks for the reactions everyone! And thanks to Radimus for forwarding my problem to the KiXtart admin' s!

And I'll agree with GreenMachine on that: It's not the tools you use, but how you use them. So everyone just has to decide for him-/herself what tool to use, be it CMD, KiXtart, XPlode, etc.