Norton Antivirus 2003 need to stop config wizard

Bodman

Hi, I have managed to get Norton Antivirus 2003 to install Silently but once windows is finished installing I have to go through the Configuration Wizard (Registraton, Schedule weekly scans, run live update etc etc) is there any way to either stop this or pre configure it

//Bodman

You can replace CfgWiz.exe with a subtle one. I applied this idea with v2004 Pro.

Please detail what you do - I would like to know how you do it.

@Bodman-

The most fail-proof method is to have these commands in your .cmd:

get your nav installed from right path with /QB-! switch
then sleep 5 (seconds)
then pskill cfgwiz.exe

This is what I do.

I looked for the file cfgwiz.exe on the machine but couldnt find it :) I thought it would be in the same place as in NAV2004 but its not. I also ran a search of the C drive but still no good :rolleyes:

any ideas?

I looked for the file cfgwiz.exe on the machine but couldnt find it :) I thought it would be in the same place as in NAV2004 but its not. I also ran a search of the C drive but still no good :rolleyes:

any ideas?

HUH!

Isn't CfgWiz.exe existing individually like in v2004 Pro?

If not so, I'm so sorry.

I looked for the file cfgwiz.exe on the machine but couldnt find it :rolleyes: I thought it would be in the same place as in NAV2004 but its not. I also ran a search of the C drive but still no good :D
I didn't find it either - its not a separate file in NAV2k3. But WTF I can always move up to NAV2k4 (and enjoy your method). Do see that you have an original un-modified source install of your NAV though, before using it.

@mazin-

All I can say now is, HUHHHHHH !!!!!!

HURRAY !!!!!!!!!

That thread existed and I didn't see it? Something's growing old in me :)

I shall try your method, should work I suppose.

Thanx a lot.

A bit more info, I am looking to create a fully unattended install of windows (like the rest of us) So with NAV2004 I followed Mazins guide (the final battle) and got it to work but when I try this on another machine I stilll need to go through the activation process, so I thought I would drop back to NAV2003, which works fine but it still runs the config wizard at the end of the install. I have looked on the CD and also the installed machine for the cfgwiz.exe file but cant find one.

Thanks in advance

//Bodman

A bit more info, I am looking to create a fully unattended install of windows (like the rest of us) So with NAV2004 I followed Mazins guide (the final battle) and got it to work but when I try this on another machine I stilll need to go through the activation process

Yes, the activated DLL is a machine specific. We said it on that thread.

A bit more info, I am looking to create a fully unattended install of windows (like the rest of us) So with NAV2004 I followed Mazins guide (the final battle) and got it to work but when I try this on another machine I stilll need to go through the activation process

Yes, the activated DLL is a machine specific. We said it on that thread.

Yeah I read that, shame really

I have found that once installed if I delete the following reg keys

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus]"NeedActivation"=dword:00000000

"LaunchConfigWiz"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

"NAV CfgWiz"="C:\\PROGRA~1\\NORTON~1\\Cfgwiz.exe /R"

this stops the Config Wizard from running. the only problem i have now is how can I do this from a .cmd file so I can automate it ( I tried -HKEY........ but this deletes the whole tree and not just the entry)

//Bodman

From a batch:

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus" /v NeedActivation /f

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Norton AntiVirus" /v LaunchConfigWiz /f

REG DELETE HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v "NAV CfgWiz" /f

• 2 weeks later...