make a 2nd cd

I hope you mean $OEM$ folder as in software folder, not stuff that you need copied to the Windows Dir or whatever. That oem folder must be on the root cd.

I was in a similar situation recently with two cds and finally came up with one way to get it to work fine, and i am testing another for my personal needs.

in runonceex or you batch file, you just basically add this code, they simply specifiy the %CDROM% or %CDROM2% variable for each install.

IF EXIST D:\D1.txt SET CDROM=D:
IF EXIST E:\D1.txt SET CDROM=E:
IF EXIST F:\D1.txt SET CDROM=F:
IF EXIST G:\D1.txt SET CDROM=G:
IF EXIST H:\D1.txt SET CDROM=H:
IF EXIST I:\D1.txt SET CDROM=I:
IF EXIST D:\D2.txt SET CDROM2=D:

IF EXIST E:\D2.txt SET CDROM2=E:
IF EXIST F:\D2.txt SET CDROM2=F:
IF EXIST G:\D2.txt SET CDROM2=G:
IF EXIST H:\D2.txt SET CDROM2=H:
IF EXIST I:\D2.txt SET CDROM2=I:

make sure you put a blank file called D1.txt on disk one, and D2.txt on disk two. :)

this topic has been covered a billion times.... do a 'Search' next time you will find much much more info on how to do it...

you can shorten that code as well, something like:

for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L:) do if exist %%i\CD.txt set CDROM=%%i

just add more driver letters in the path if need be...

your method will work good if you have two cdrom drives... if you only have one cdrom drive, the best way to do it is:

1) in your RunOnceEx list, after installing anything needed off the first CDROM or off the Hard Drive, create a VB Script that pauses with a message "Please insert next CD" (when the VB Script is run the install process pauses, you swap the disks over and then press OK)

2) for the rest of the items in the RunOnceEx list, create batch files that firstly detect the CDROM letter with the above code and then run the installation off the CD...

for example:

@echo off
echo.
echo Installing Office 2003 Professional
echo.
echo Please wait . . .
echo.
for %%i in (C: D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L:) do if exist %%i\CD.txt set CDROM=%%i
start /wait %cdrom%\office\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=Unattended.MST /qb-
exit

Ok, I will put out my full prblem in here.

On the 21st I posted asking if one can use string in winnt.sif to find what CD drive the CD with $OEM$ is or how can you use txtsetup.sif to find $OEM$ (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=8381&st=20) on that page gosh say that you can do it but does not say how.

no one anserd me so I been trying the [string] route.

Setup can't under stand my String (I was going to make a 2nd post for that after this one), and I wanted to known if setup has any limets to the type of data it can read from a CD. (ex. file name length, character sets...)