Icons disappeared in Windows Explorer

Quoth

Not much else to say really, this just greeted me one day during my usual routine, Windows XP SP1. I tried to see if the "Rebuild Icons" in the TweakUI PowerToy would have any effect. It didn't. The problem is localised to the folders tree.

icon-prob.png

Any help is greatly appreciated-- I'm getting really annoyed at not being able to tell drives from folders and what-not at a glance.

i actually never seen such a problem but the tweak ui shouldnt be enough if u really want ure problem be solved .my advise is to check the TUNEUP UTILITIES 2004(OR 2003) it have some option for icon rebuilding too.

and dont tell me you didnt try to repair the windows (mostly the last chance).

and the second advise and i think it would be the best use the STYLE XP it have an option for changing the windows icons , maybe with changing them itll be over.

Note You can add this subst command to a startup script or to a logon script so that you do not have to repeat this procedure every that time you start your computer.

Where do you recommend I put this command?

Hi Guys,

I had the exact same problem only 2 days ago except all my Icons including my desktop and quicklaunch toolbar disappeared when I click on the tweakUi Rebuild Icons Button. I searched the forum and found no fix. I fixed it myself by appling a new default Theme for windows XP Pro and they alll reappeared.

Wyz

Note You can add this subst command to a startup script or to a logon script so that you do not have to repeat this procedure every that time you start your computer.

Where do you recommend I put this command?

The easiest way would be to create a batch file with the subst command and place it in your Startup folder in the Start Menu.

Make a text file named something.cmd and place the subst c: h:\ in that file. Place your .cmd file in the startup folder.

Alternatively, you can make your .cmd file a logon script.

Goto Start > Run, enter gpedit.msc, Go to User Configuration > Windows Settings, select Scripts (Logon/Logoff), Double-click Logon, Click add, Browse to where your script is, Click ok, click ok. Now your Script will execute at logon.