Change computername

Hi,

I've got my unattended finished so far that I can make a final now, there's just one more thing to do and that's the following.

During the install I want to add the computername manual but if I leave 'Computername=' empy it gives an error in the install. If it's possible the computername is the only thing that should be editted. Does someone knows how to realise this?

maybe you can find it in the registry and just modify it as part of install?

or use the SIF file (is that it?) from a floppy and you edit it before installation. I think there are some instructions for installing XP from cd, with the file on a floppy.

maybe you can find it in the registry and just modify it as part of install?

or use the SIF file (is that it?) from a floppy and you edit it before installation.  I think there are some instructions for installing XP from cd, with the file on a floppy.

I want to have the abbility to make up computernames on the fly...and my guess is that this is managable with the winnt.sif file. But how?

If you want to set the computername and more things after install, or at T-13 stage (thru cmdlines.txt) read on......

Download and save the change.vbs (attached to this post).

Then, put that file to where you want and call the VBS file (start /wait ....) during T-13.

Enjoy!

change.vbs