Newbie question: boot to DOS/Win9x Command prompt

yronnen

Hi.

I'm starting to build my multi-boot dvd.

I want to add the option of booting to a command prompt with the cd drivers loaded and all the files are in a ram disk. In short, I want to boot to an image of the win98 rescue disk.

The guides however, show options of booting to OS installations only. How can I boot to this image?

Thanks.

Go here:

guide and see how to do a multi-boot CD. It also tells you how to load a floppy image as a boot-sector.

Now, here's where it gets interesting:

1. Download WinImage 6.10 (google to find out where it is hosted).

2. Insert your win98/ME bootable floppy into the drive.

3. Then, within winimage, use the menu sequence "Disk >> Read Disk"

4. That step will result in the creation of a floppy image.

5. Continue following flyakite's guide (the cdshell section) to have this floppy image as an option at your multi-boot screen.

Note that you have to be fairly comfortable with the process of creating a multi-boot CD - you won't get it working until you are (trust me, I know). If at first you don't succeed, try again. If you don't come up with a working/as-desired multi-boot CD, even after 5 tries of making it (and bug-fixing) - scrap the set you were using and begin afresh (from scratch). The entire task of building a *WORKING* multi-boot CD won't take more than 3 hours, so go ahead, don't worry if nothing seems to go right the first time.

All the Best!