windows server 2003

two questions:

1. where is the setting that controls auto-logon? i'd like to switch this to on, so when i need to reboot the server i don't have to wait until it gets to the ctrl alt del screen. :)

2. is there anything i can do to speed up the shutdown and startup time? it seriously takes 45 minutes to startup!!

You can set the auto login with the "control userpasswords2" command.

As far as the shutdown and startup time, it's a server and should be turned on and left on, that's how servers work. However, my 2003 servers (when I do restart them) only takes a few minutes to restart. I find 2003 boots faster then XP. With out knowing your hardware and what software you are running it's hard to say why it is taking so long.

well what i think is causing the problem is that i have AD, DNS and Exchange installed because im trying to setup an email server.

i just uninstalled the stuff im not using. sharepoint, sql, iis, etc.

i think that may speed things up.

can you elaborate on that command? i've never seen it before and don't know how it works.

can you elaborate on that command? i've never seen it before and don't know how it works.
Simply type
control userpasswords2

into Start>Run and execute it. The power of the applet may not immediately be obvious, but have a good look at it and you will be able to do lots of things with it.

An easier way:

Download TweakUI 2.10 for WS2k3 from here (147 KB).

Run it, and use these menu outlines-

Tweak UI > Logon > Autologon > Enable.

Does it help?

i'll use the tweakui. i did type that command at the run line, but nothing happened and i got lots of disk activity. i let it go for 10-15 minutes, and ended task on it. i didn't know what it was doing or if it was locked up? anyways, thanks for the help guys.