Unattended with multiple hard drives

I have a question concerning unattended install with multiple hard drives.

How does one go about making the C: drive the only available drive to install XP on? (During the text portion of the unattened install)?

I just added a second hard drive (for backup and music storage). It is formatted as NTFS but there is no OS installed on the drive (nor will there be).

I just updated my unatteded DVD with SP2 2162 and threw in the CD. I had to reset my computer when it by default detected no OS present on the second hard drive and automatically started copying files to it.

What do I change in my winnt.sif file to make the default drive (or only drive) to install XP on?

If you use

AutoPartition=0

this will prompt you for a partition and drive to use, I use this as I too have multiple drives, and the odd minute it takes to choose is better than the cold sick feeling you get when you have just formatted 20 gigs of useful stuff.

If you have two drives and you are sure that it will pick the correct one during the text setup portion you can set it to =1, I think if you formatted the second drive as an extended partition, setup would choose the primary active partition of the other drive, just test run setup to the format stage and see which drive is chosen as the default, or set AutoPartition=0 (Which is my recommendation) and choose.

also make sure "repartition=yes" isn't anywhere in winnt.sif...I had 60 gigs-o-crap that I lost that way, and I learned REALLY quick that "autopartition" wasn't the only data-destroying key...because it was set to 0 at the time...

Well it looks like a few people have had that sinking feeling :rolleyes: , but lets face it how much of the "insert number here"gigs were there 'cos you didn't want to delete it 'cos you have downloaded and may require the use of 20 different text editors or Antivirus programs in some parallel universe, I for one :)

Thanks for the help.

I too had a sick feeling when I noticed what it was doing. Luckily the drive didn't need formatting because there was no OS on the drive previously. It just started copying files. So I didn't lose any data. 100 GB of very important data wouldn't be fun to lose!