No WU in XPCREATED WIN2K

Condor7

I am using XPCreate to make a Windows 2000 install CD. I get an error downloading IE files, which probably just means that the location on the website was changed, then the process continues to the point where it successfully creates an ISO image.

I am able to install Windows from the resulting CD, but Windows Update does not work. It gets to the point where I click on "Scan for Updates", but will not respond past that point. Nothing is locked up, the "Scan" link just doesn't respond.

Windows Update works fine from a different computer, or from the new install computer if I don't use XPCreate. Two XPCreate CDs, created using different source files, both run into the same problem.

Has anybody else encountered this?

I recently created a Win2k CD with XPCREATE and have had no problems at all.. Except for the small DirectX issue that is currently being researched, but that's normal. :)

I would say however that it is directly related to you having problems with the IE components. Hopefully someone else on here can help you in that regard.

I went to the Microsoft site and tried to manually download Internet Explorer. It downloaded the installer, and the installer gave me the same error message.

It seems that you can't download Internet Explorer unless you already have Internet Explorer.

So I fired up XPLite, put Internet Explorer back, and tried again. This time it was able to download the IE components. Hopefully it will fix the problem.

If you get an error of any sort, such as downloading, you needn't look any further: something has gone wrong. Post your log files, and I will take a look. If you have an on-screen error, post a cut and paste copy of the text in the DOS Window. You didn't give me much to go on!

Not to mention ... Welcome to MSFN, Condor7 and ryang!

(Cool: two for the price of one!)

I had the same problem quite some time ago, but I also had a very customized version of the Windows 2000 cd, so I won't say it was XPCreate.

My symptoms were actually that IE partially rendered things involving Javascript, and failed to let me input data into form fields (like Google's search field). This, of course, also affected things like Windows Update.

My solution was to use MakeIE to download/create a full IE installer for Windows 2000, and then run the IE package on the affected Win2000 box and reboot. Voila, problem solved.

-J

Putting Internet Explorer back on my computer seems to have fixed it. (High price to pay)

Of course, now the universe has found other ways to screw with me. Installation aborted with the error "usbhub.sys is corrupt" on two different machines. Of course, I can't blame that on XPCreate. I just had to burn another CD.

Installed perfectly with all the hotfixes except DirectX9 and ADODB. Windows Update worked and took care of those two.