Slimming down Win2k3 server

:) Halo, I am slimming down a Win2k3 server, and I use nlite for doing the task. Up to now, my server's size is 498MB.

Anybody here is doing similiar thing? Could you share how you do so, and your result?

• 2 weeks later...

c:\windows (and subdirs) is 565 MB for a W2K3 Web Server installed and configured 100% unattended via a RIS Server. The install image was slimmed down with help from nLite. :D

The image uses 85 MB RAM when started with only Windows Update and IIS 6 + the essential services (NetBIOS, Event Viewer, RAdmin, etc.) running. :rolleyes:

I have chosen to automate the setup 100% in order to be able to create several servers with identical configuration (OS, IIS, Services like MySQL, RAdmin and PHP, etc) instead of cloning with SysPrep since neither Ghost 7.5 CE or 8.0 CE nor Acronis TrueImage Server managed to make a bootable clone :D (i have read that wipeing out the disk signature might help, but it's too late for that now!)

I have modified RunOnceEx.cmd to call a batch file for each step in the setup with a parameter telling the batch file which part to process during first logon after setup. This made it a lot easier to keep all configuration in a single place and more readable / easier to maintain. The hardest part was to export and automate the import of all the IIS 6 settings for PHP and rip out ASP...

Right now I am quite happy with having managed the *extremely* cumbersome and not-so-well-made M$ custom setup / componentization of unattended setup. It would *not* have been possible without MSFN! :)

The installation takes less than 25 minutes from bare-metal (SCSI) to fully configured server via an *extremely* crowded 100 MBps LAN. I have also forced RIS to ask me for IP address and Product ID (preconfigured all ID's I have, all I have to do is to pick one!) when the PXE boot switches to RIS setup. RIS is useful since I do not need a CD-ROM which I always mis-place, and the image on the server can easily be maintained for future upgrades / configuration changes.

M$ has ADS server for mass-rollout to multiple servers simultaneously, but it is much too cumbersome, awkward and resource-hogging. Also it needs some tweaking to install on anything less than an Enterprise Server...

nLite is really a gem! It needs some bugfixes and if it would be able to integrate better with the requirements that RIS needs it would really be a must-have-killer-app-that-no-sysadmin-can-live-without.

Does anybody else have any experiences with RIS? I would be glad for some info on tweaking / modifying it from someone with more experience.

n00b question here, I really need to know how to slim down the installation package for WinXP and Win2k3. I'm tired of the multiple GB install size of these OS's....trimming 'em and saving a few hundred MB's is a good idea.

Please point me in any direction, links, utilities used, tutorials, how-to's etc...

I'll be very grateful :)