BOOT IMG Editor/Creator

arrow_zs

Hi im wondering if anyone has came across a BOOT IMG (Image) Editor/Creator, for Floppy Disks? see, im looking for one that doesnt require a Floppy Drive?

Is there a way to Create a Fake Floppy Drive? with in Windows? for say Virtual Floppy Disk? and just copy all the needed files etc? then use some type of IMG Creator?

Or, if there is a program that will create a IMG file from a select of files? can someone help me?

Im trying to make a IMG file, for Norton GHOST, more like a recovery disk, but i cant seem to make it because i dont have a Floppy Drive, just CDR/RW, and DVDR/RW

because i wanted to test them on VPC2K4

Nevermind, i came across WinImage 6.0 which does what i wanted, now to test it out, trying it in 2.88MB Floppy Format, because Ghost requires 2 Disks, and Ghost.exe takes up about 1.2MB, so.. thats not enough space for the Config.sys etc to require the floppy to boot

• 2 weeks later...

You can also build a simple batch file that will build a 2.88MB bootable floppy image from files on your hard drive. To do this you need mkbt.exe and bfi.exe which can be downloaded from the following URL's

http://www.nu2.nu/mkbt/

http://www.nu2.nu/bfi/

While there may seem like a lot of information on these pages the overall process is very simple.

o Insert the bootable floppy in the a: drive and extract the boot sector using use mkbt.exe (only need to do this once).

mkbt.exe -c a: "bootsect.bin"

o Copy all the files from the floppies including hidden files such as IO.SYS and MSDOS.sys to a folder such as GhostFiles.

o Use bfi.exe to build the bootable floppy image

bfi -v -t="288" -f=ghost.img -b=bootsect.bin GhostFiles

ghost.img is an 2.88MB bootable floppy image.