What is I386\COMPDATA

briasa

Just trying to learn what is in my computer.

Are these seperate files to tell a person what was not compatable with Win xp when it was downloaded onto their computer?

Like if there is one for Iomegazip then the person has that on their computer and they will have to find out how to make this work with their computer?

Here is an example of what I am looking at

Microsoft Windows XP Setup has detected an Iomega Zip drive connected to the parallel port on your computer. Some installed tools for the Iomega Zip drive will not work properly after upgrading to Windows XP if your Iomega Zip drive is connected to the parallel port on your computer.

Although Windows XP does contain embedded support for the Iomega Zip drive, the drivers for this device will be disabled during the upgrade. It is recommended that you uninstall the Iomega Zip drive tools before continuing.

For more information about this driver, visit the manufacturer's Web site.

For a list of devices supported by this version of Microsoft Windows, see the Microsoft Windows XP Compatibility List at http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?p...&sba=compatible.

So this would mean that while a person was upgrading to winxp that a computer that the computer was connected to had an omega zip drive?

Hi Briasa,

I think it is what it is, as described below:

Microsoft Windows XP Setup has detected an Iomega Zip drive connected to the parallel port on your computer. Some installed tools for the Iomega Zip drive will not work properly after upgrading to Windows XP if your Iomega Zip drive is connected to the parallel port on your computer.

So let's see if Iomega has the tools that are compatable with a parallel drive for XP.

You can start here:Zip 250 Parallel Drive

I only saw the parallel 250 zip drive listed on Iomega's web site, so I assume this is what you have.

Long story short, disconnect the zip drive, install XP on your computer, install all Windows Updates, then you should be able to download and install the IomegaWare tools you need.

Treeman

I386 contains the setup information for XP.

As for the Iomega drive, you are being alerted that the driver will no longer function after upgrade. A fresh install of XP would be a better choice, but I guess you already bought the upgrade. You may get a lot of issues with compatibility (dri vers, software). Hope that answers the question.